Menu

Miquon for K question...

Irishmommy

Does anyone find it to be too much for your Ker? I'm not sure if it will be too advanced for my gal. I'm worried about her not being able to grasp some of the more advanced concepts. Do you do the first two books for K, or just focus on the orange? I'm still just not sure what is going to work for us...:confused:

Guest RecumbentHeart

We're playing some with the Orange book. Since it's not what we're primarily working with I definitely couldn't see us getting through more than the Orange book. We haven't gotten too far into it so I can't say much besides that so far it's the only "academic" type thing that DS has ever asked for specifically (like, not a general "school" or "math" but "I want to do THAT").

I hope there is someone more helpful around. :)

I'm planning to start Miquon with my KGer this year; not sure how it will work out in reality, but my plan is to simply start with Orange and go at her pace. I've been looking through Miquon's Notes to Teachers, and there are a lot of materials listed -- I mean, I had always thought Miquon used strictly Cuisenaire rods alone, but that doesn't fit with the list of recommended materials.

I also want to incorporate some of our Lentil Science materials, especially when we get to talking about volume.

So no experience here, but commiseration. :)

I think it depends on the child. My daughter isn't in "K" until this fall, but she's already done a fair bit of work in the orange book. She prefers to go mostly in order, but we have jumped around some when she wanted to do the clock and measurement sections.

She started it a couple of months after she turned five, when she was eager for math lessons. We've done it only when she asked, since I wanted to wait to require academic work until the public school K age here.

I found that my daughter made a lot of progress with these basic math ideas during periods when we didn't do any math. For example, she really didn't "get" subtraction when I first introduced it, but when we recently revisited it, she understood with only minimal explanation.

So, did you all just go in order of the workbook pages? Did you plan a sequence of topics that you wanted to cover and go in that order?

The Teachers' Lab Notations has a chart that shows which concepts are covered in each book. You can either follow one concept through every book until you finish that concept, or do the books in order. Your choice. Neither way is right or wrong.