Menu

What should I call this class?

I'm putting together a class for my rising 9th grader, and I don't know how to label it.

It's going to be a mixture of logic, computer science, and computational linguistics (with some traditional linguistics thrown in, just to complicate matters). Any ideas?

When I was a computer science major (admittedly many years ago), logic, what we then called natural language processing and programming where all taught within the Computer Science department. I don't think I would consider any of these subjects as math. Programming Theory would possibly be a good name for the course though.

When I was a computer science major (admittedly many years ago), logic, what we then called natural language processing and programming where all taught within the Computer Science department. I don't think I would consider any of these subjects as math. Programming Theory would possibly be a good name for the course though.

In high school, though, wouldn't they be in the math department? Certainly you're right about college, but I think that in high school it would be math or science, and in my high school or in the high school that my DD will attend this year the choice would be math.

My concern though, is that it does not replace the math requirements from algebra through pre-calc or calculus. Outside of that, I'm not sure it would matter that much where you put it. Locally here, they put computer science classes under Business Education, but I don't think this course of study would fit there as it is not as much about business applications as it is about theory. I'm thinking that no matter where you put it, a college will decide where they would put it.

Maybe it would be best to not worry about that part yet. It's a strong course regardless.

Edited by DebbS
bad sentence

Thanks for the suggestions. I think something like Programming Theory would work well.

As far as what discipline it is? I hadn't really categorized it as anything other than an elective. It wouldn't be replacing any other math (the kid plans to major in math, so there will be lots of that). As DebbS said, I think I'll just slap it on the transcript and let the colleges decide what to make of it.