Menu

I promise no more math ?s from me today! LOL Which has clearer/easier instructions...

iammommy

Horizons or Saxon?

I've been spoiled (see rant below! LOL) with TT having the DVD do the teaching and although we've done both Saxon (taught in public school) and Horizons, I don't really know which directions would be clearer for me. By clearer, I mean scripted so it's easy to explain to my ds. Also, are the manipulatives needed for Saxon 5/4?

While I'm at it, a TT rant. My ds, who is 11 and in 5th grade, just completed TT5. He BARELY tested into Saxon 5/4. Is he mathy? No.

But really...He can NOT generalize from the predictable presentations of TT math problems to the same problems presented in a different format, such as in the Saxon placement test. My G-d. I feel like we wasted an entire year of math with TT 5! The ONLY good thing about our year with TT5 was that he is no longer math phobic. But I feel like he slipped even further behind after a year of TT. And here, he was loving it and I thought it was the perfect curriculum for him. :(

I feel like I failed my son . Why didn't I realize he wasn't really learning the concepts...just memorizing what to do? Now, looking back, I think he just tuned out the lectures and did the problems. I'm so upset. And this wans't even done independently! I sat the entire year with him and went through the problems with him. One.by.one.

When he left public school mid third grade he was right on grade level with math. Now, beginning 6th grade, at home, he's slipped to almost 2 years behind!

So many concepts on the placement test aren't even in mid TT 6! I don't trust TT enough anymore to continue with it.

:crying:

Nan

Edited by iammommy

:grouphug:

Since you sat with him and he was able to do the work, maybe the presentation of Saxon or time of day or who knows what interfered with his score. Also, if prior to TT he hated math and now he doesn't, I would say that is a huge step in the right direction.

If you continue with TT, he will be fine. Elementary math programs may have a different scope and sequence, but they all get you to the same place. If you feel like he knows the material presented on the Saxon test, then he probably does.

I am using Saxon. My third ds is using Saxon 76 this year and it will be my third time to teach with it. I have no problem teaching Saxon, but if you wanted help there are DIVE CDs, Art Reed DVDs, and Saxon now has teaching aids.

However, Saxon never went well for my oldest and I wish I had never used it with him. If TT has helped your ds get over his math phobia and you worked with him and feel like he understood the material, I would strongly suggest not switching programs again. Every program has a different sequence, so if you switch there is always the likelihood that you will need to back up a little. If you keep switching, it makes it very difficult to see progress.

HTH-

Mandy

While I'm at it, a TT rant. My ds, who is 11 and in 5th grade, just completed TT5. He BARELY tested into Saxon 5/4.

From what I've read here repeatedly, TT's levels run about 1-2 grade levels behind what is "standard", so that sounds about right. I think TT5 is roughly equivalent to most others' 3rd grade program. I don't think your son's problem is not having retained what TT taught him, but not having been taught the material of a standard 5th grade program.

You could always compare the scope and sequence of the two programs to see if that's true...