Menu

megawords - love? hate?

kailuamom

We have never used Megawords, but we're looking for something to enhance vocab/spelling. We are kind of tired of Spelling Workout. Do you have to start from the beginning with the Megawords workbooks? Or can you jump in? The website says each book is suitable for grades 4+. We have been looking and debating between Megawords and Wordly Wise, but would be interested in hearing from those of you who have used either.

Thanks!

Both.

My middle dd used Megawords books 1-7 starting in 5th grade. She enjoyed the books. She stopped with book 7 because she was about to start 9th grade at that point and didn't really have the time to spend on the books anymore.

My youngest dd tried Megawords, but didn't get very far. I really wanted it to work for her because she is dyslexic and it would have been good for her. Unfortunately, she cannot learn from rule-based programs and Megawords is definitely rule-based.

It is generally recommended that you start with the first book.

I still like the program.

It is generally recommended that you start with the first book.

[/stillQUOTE]

Do you still think this would be the case with ds who completed up to Explode the Code 6? I can only find one sample sheet of first book, but I don't want him to be bored/do busy work if the words are too simple. Do they go over the beginning rules in the subsequent books, or are they only in the first?

The syllable types and syllabication rules are taught in book 1. In each book there is an assessment test you can give your child to see if they test out of a section. It would depend on the age of the child if I would do this though. Middle schoolers I would, but for elementary, not based on my experience. My oldest started Megawords with book 1 at the end of 3rd. He tested out of a lot, but I still had him go through it cover to cover so he could learn the Megaword foundational skills. There is no rush 1.5 books are comfortably done per year doing 1 side of the worksheet per day. He's now in book 3. We used the old edition.

We are starting with book one of Megawords this year. Like you said, even though DS has already tested out of most of the book, we are stilling going to do it. I want the foundation to be very solid.

We used Wordly Wise (K) last year and will be starting with Book 3 this year.

I see WW as my vocabulary program and Megawords as my spelling/advanced fluency program.