Menu

car seat question

Would you consider buying a used car seat if you already owned the base? We (thought) we still had the car seat that our now 2 yo used as an infant- in fact, since we're having a girl this time and we already owned the seat, I bought a custom car seat cover for it. Well, apparently, when we moved, the seat part disappeared. You can't buy just the seat. We have the 2 bases. I know that you're not supposed to use a car seat that has been in an accident (and ours hasn't) but is that just the base? You can't be 100% sure that a seller is being honest about it's history, but if you're going to throw the base away (we'd use the ones we already have) and only use the seat- does that matter?

I'd sell the custom cover, instead.

I really don't think anyone who is selling an infant carseat would lie about it not being in an accident. Or at least I think it is VERY unlikely.

Another option - could you send out an e-mail to all your acquaintances asking if anyone has this seat?

You shouldn't use an after-market cover, or any other accessory, not sold by the manufacturer with that particular seat. It has not been crash tested with that seat and may change the way the seat performs. Sorry, it's just not worth it to have a certain color or pattern if it endangers your child.

I also would never purchase a car seat used . It's just not worth the chance. I would recommend finding a new seat with a cover you like already on it and buy that.