Menu

Can you recommend a writing program for 8th/9th grade?

Night Elf

What kind of writing program am I looking for? My ds14 is a 9th grade reluctant writer. Yet, he has great writing skills. He can write an interesting sentence, can put sentences together into paragraphs using a topic sentence and concluding sentence, and understands the basic organization of a 5-paragraph essay.

I am using Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings and the 9th grade BJU grammar tests. I need a writing program that will have my son writing something every week, preferably more than just nice sentences with vivid adjectives and verbs.

Off the top of my head, I know:

Jump In

Writing Strands

Write Shop

IEW

Bravewriter (or Brave Writer?)

The main complaint my son has about writing is that he doesn't know what to write about and doesn't know what to say when he's given a topic. So what I really need is an 'ideas' program I guess.

Any idea? I'm clueless!

The main complaint my son has about writing is that he doesn't know what to write about and doesn't know what to say when he's given a topic. So what I really need is an 'ideas' program I guess.

Any idea? I'm clueless!

IEW is great for not knowing what to write. I like the IEW U.S. History Based Writing Lessons vol. 1 & 2.

Join the IEW Families yahoo group and look through the files AND watch the IEW videos on each program at the IEW website.

Lost Tools of Writing would be perfect for him!

In this thread, I explained my experience with LTOW this year.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/index.php

I chose LTOW because of the way it teaches my students to think. I have used all of the programs you listed, and LTOW will teach the THINKING in a way the others do not.

I'd be happy to answer any questions. I just received my LTOW II in the mail yesterday. It looks great! :)

IEW is great for not knowing what to write. I like the IEW U.S. History Based Writing Lessons vol. 1 & 2.

Join the IEW Families yahoo group and look through the files AND watch the IEW videos on each program at the IEW website.

:iagree: If you are doing LL LOTR, the medieval history theme-based might be a good fit. I'm doing this combo with one of mine next year.

Lost Tools of Writing would be perfect for him!

I just looked at it and it looks so complicated! I've got a feeling it's a fairly simple concept told in a big-word way. Unfortunately, I'm a simple person. That guy seems too smart for me. :)

IEW is great for not knowing what to write.

We did some of the first American History theme based lesson book and Jeffrey did do fairly well with it. I honestly don't remember why we stopped. One thing I don't remember finding out is when original writing begins. He used models to write his own paragraph but when are students given directions to write an essay without using a model?

I just looked at it and it looks so complicated! I've got a feeling it's a fairly simple concept told in a big-word way. Unfortunately, I'm a simple person. That guy seems too smart for me. :)

I think KarenCiavo's son took an online course using LTOW. I don't know what the online source was, but if you're interested, maybe we can find out.

I think KarenCiavo's son took an online course using LTOW. I don't know what the online source was, but if you're interested, maybe we can find out.

Yeah, I would like to know what it entailed and what it cost. I can try to do a search, but I'm not good at the search engine on this site.

We are doing Jump In.. You had that listed, did you look into that and decide against it? Also check out Meaningful Composition!

When I looked at it, I got the impression it was for the younger set of middle schoolers and that it might be too simple for him. I think I'm going to go to my local homeschool store tomorrow and talk to the owner. I know they sell Jump In and Write Shop. Maybe she can give me some guidance.

Meaningful Composition seems too religious for us.

We did some of the first American History theme based lesson book and Jeffrey did do fairly well with it. I honestly don't remember why we stopped. One thing I don't remember finding out is when original writing begins. He used models to write his own paragraph but when are students given directions to write an essay without using a model?

My 5th and 7th graders will be doing the medieval theme-based book next year and it seems like they are using the models for most of it. Although, it becomes less and less as the book goes on (longer and multiple sources).

My dd going into 9th grade next year will be using IEW's Elegant Essay to develop her skills writing an essay with thesis statement. For the rest of the year, we're going to practice that with prompts from Spielvogel's Human Odyssey and from the LOTR study.

hth. :)