Menu

Does anyone supplement IEW? If so, how?

I am new to HS this year with a 1st & 4th grader. I would like to start them with TWSS & SWI-A (the latter for my older child). I've wondered if there is a need to supplement IEW at all, or if there is even time over the course of a year to do so. Our language arts consists of

Grammar:

MCTLA

Punctuation Puzzler

Editor in Chief OR Daily Paragraph Editing

Spelling:

Spelling Workout

Cursive Writing & Typing

Reading:

Various books & lit study guides from Veritas Press, Progeny Press & blackbirdandcompany, plus free reading of Classic Starts books.

Writing: (this is where it gets a bit confusing)

I'm considering the following to go ALONG with IEW:

WWE (various levels depending on age)

Sentence Composing for Elementary School - Killgallon

Story Grammar for Elementary School - Killgallon

Diagramming Sentences - Mark Twain Media

Remedia Outlining (Two book series)

Unjournaling

Painless Junior Writing (Barron's Painless Junior Series)

6+1 Traits of Writing OR Daily Trait Warm Ups OR Trait Crate OR Daily 6 Trait Writing (Evan Moor) - The trait books are for assessment testing in our state at the end of the year.

I've even thought about throwing in a Bravewriter Just So Stories or Kids Write Basics online class down the road (though most likely not this year).

So.... is it possible to integrate SOME of the above with IEW during the year? If someone HAS done it, how has it worked for them? How many days a week do you use IEW vs the other supplemental material? What does your week of writing look like?

Edited by SaDonna
fixing

Big vote for WWE. SWB knocks it out of the ballpark again. Can't go wrong, imho.

Your first grader could do WWE 1 or 2 depending on his current skill set. Dd 6 is doing WWE 1. Dd 7 is doing WWE2 -- both in conjunction with a hodpe-podge of LA materials. :001_smile:

WWE is scripted and the narration question/answers are right there in the book. We don't use the student pages in the back because the lines are too big and we do cursive.

Yes, I like WWE... problem is I also like MC, IEW, and a plethora of others. lol

I love IEW but am not a fan of using it with the younger set. I'll be using just WWE for my 1st and 3rd graders. My 5th grader is a bit remedial and he'll be in WWE too. He'll do IEW next year.

This year I am using writing assignments from other curriculum with my 7th, and 8th graders from other curriculum but having them use the IEW techniques we've learned. We used IEW exclusively last year and found it to be plenty.

That's interesting.. I have heard some say that IEW was a program better suited to older students, but I wasn't sure. Just as a "sort of" comparison I downloaded MC (Meaningful Composition) for oldest to try and it seems implemented easily enough??? Although we are just getting started. I have wondered if it might be easy to have the DVD's from SWI along with the workbook for MC to follow along as it just seems so well laid out with a lot of the same concepts as IEW.. (such as KWO). I'm not sure.. they both look good, I just wonder if they will GET the SWI DVDs at this age and be able to work with them.

For those who have used IEW, does it give you a "workbook" that looks similar to MC?

I have heard some homeschoolers used IEW with CW(Classical Writing). We are going to use Ancient History writing lessons with MOH I and Fables, Myths and Fairy tales lessons with Classical Writing Aesop, book A. My child is going to be in 3rd grade so I see how it will go. I will probably use SWI A with her when she is in 4th grade.