Menu

Homeschooling really IS time consuming

I didn't realize until this past week how much time I spend homeschooling. My 12yo and 14yo girls have been sewing pioneer costumes with my mom all week, so I decided to stop all homeschooling. They are under a deadline to finish the clothes in a couple of weeks, and I quickly realized that they didn't have time to sew and do school. I am amazed by how much I've been able to do around the house this past week. Sending them off to school is mighty tempting at the moment. ;)

Homeschooling is a full-time job, often with overtime required due to planning and the associated research, if nothing else. As far as I can tell, the main differences from having a job-job is you are working at home, your co-workers are messy and need supervision during the work day, some days it seems like the work day never ends, and you don't get money and benefits (paid vacations and holidays, insurance) from doing it.

IMO, being a SAHM who doesn't homeschool is also a full-time job, done right. I've never tried it, but my to-do list might be accomplished if homeschooling weren't in the mix (and the kids weren't home so much).

Edited by RoughCollie

Yes. I am wanting to go and study something and dh really isnt keen for me to get stressed out by taking on too much- he sees how hard I work.

And, I am on holidays for 2 weeks starting this weekend, and already I have plans for all the things I want to catch up on. Mostly cleaning! And tax. And plannign next terms schoolwork.

I dont even "do" much anymore- my kids teach themselves mostly. But homeschooling combined with cooking, cleaning, and being the taxi, is definitely a full time job.

I know! We're on summer break, and it is amazing how much cleaner (notice I don't go so far as to say actually clean) the house is.

I understand on the "cleaner" part. I can't say our house is cleaner but at least I've been able to tackle a few junk piles that were really bothering me. Here's my confession - I put away the creche/nativity set this week. If I had waited a few more days we could have had Christmas in July. ;)

IMO, being a SAHM who doesn't homeschool is also a full-time job, done right. I've never tried it, but my to-do list might be accomplished if homeschooling weren't in the mix (and the kids weren't home so much).

I've never tried it either. :tongue_smilie:

And, I am on holidays for 2 weeks starting this weekend, and already I have plans for all the things I want to catch up on. Mostly cleaning! And tax. And plannign next terms schoolwork.

Peela, be sure to fit in something fun. You deserve it!

A friend of mine, who will begin homeschooling in the fall, looked at me the other day and said, "Tell me again. I know you've said it, but I need you to keep reminding me." So I repeated, "You won't have more time to get 'things' done when you homeschool. You'll have less. And you'll be at home more so you'll notice all that is undone. Breathe deeply and know you are doing a great job." I say it daily to myself. Sometimes, I listen. Sometimes, I don't.

I spent twelve years as a SAHM without any homeschooling and the shock of change to being a homeschooling SAHM was almost as drastic as when I went from a more than 40 hours a week career woman to being a SAHM.

I know! We're on summer break, and it is amazing how much cleaner (notice I don't go so far as to say actually clean) the house is.
:iagree: Okay I thought it was just me but the house is cleaner and dinner is on the table on time every night. I have to figure out how to carry this over once school starts.

A friend of mine, who will begin homeschooling in the fall, looked at me the other day and said, "Tell me again. I know you've said it, but I need you to keep reminding me." So I repeated, "You won't have more time to get 'things' done when you homeschool. You'll have less. And you'll be at home more so you'll notice all that is undone. Breathe deeply and know you are doing a great job." I say it daily to myself. Sometimes, I listen. Sometimes, I don't.

I spent twelve years as a SAHM without any homeschooling and the shock of change to being a homeschooling SAHM was almost as drastic as when I went from a more than 40 hours a week career woman to being a SAHM.

I need to print that out and post in on my bathroom mirror. Every morning I need to remember to Breathe deeply.