Menu

Re-evaluating history - help!

I have always liked to keep our kids together for history, and have so far managed to do so. However I'm thinking that I really will not be meeting everyone's needs if I continue with that next year, and am driving myself nuts trying to figure out the best way to teach my different learners, without stretching myself too thin or inventing a plan that's too complicated for me to stick with. We did MFW Ex-1850 this past year and I had intended to continue, until feedback from my kids made me reconsider. Want to help me think?

Ds12, (entering 7th grade) a fairly brilliant avid reader and deep thinker, loved MFW and would like to continue. He liked the big picture, overview of world history. I want him to have the chance to go deeper this year and be challenged, but still want to be involved in his studies. He's a living book - NOT a textbook type kid at all.

Ds9 #1, very bright auditory learner, liked MFW very much but at the end of the year said "it's hard to keep everything straight because we didn't spend a long time on any one thing. I'd like to be able to go deeper into a topic before we move on." I'd like to honor that.

Ds9#2, sweet, visual learner who has trouble following complicated material and takes lots of repetition to really remember things, enjoyed the year but only remembered the things I'd taken the time to supplement with visual materials, and the historical fiction. These two boys will be in 4th grade.

Ds7, wiggly, visual learner who likely has auditory processing issues, was on his own schedule but I want to make sure I gear things to him next year as well, as he begins 2nd grade.

Soooo, I am tossing around:

-Biblioplan, which I've used in the past, but Streams of Civilization and History of US seem old for 4th graders, and are scheduled frequently. Considering using it for ds 12, who wants to keep studying in the context of the whole world and not just US history, and something else for the others.

- Sonlight Core 4 for the youngest three, with History of US scheduled separately for ds12 and colorful books thrown in for my visual guys. (ds12 could read through SOTW 4 on his own if he'd like)

- HOD for youngest three - using Beyond (I think, it's the American history year for 7-9), with the supplement for the 4th graders, and something else for ds12.

- WP American Story II (which I own) for the youngest three, and something else for ds12. I didn't love the scheduling at all though...

So my question is, am I nuts to consider two or three separate programs? Can this be done? Does anyone have experience with any of these or suggestions? Something I've not thought of? I keep thinking I should put together something myself, but we have had a very intense few years with some health issues, and I also know myself, LOL, all intention and then I fade. I like a schedule. If you've read this far, thank you!

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 7-19, schooling grades 2, 4, 4 and 7

I haven't actually started MFW. I admit I turned to it because I have 3 kids in 3 very different learning stages, and some health issues of my own and a very tight outside schedule helping my DH's business. I have always planned my own history and lit using WTM and just couldn't do it anymore - and I admit I could very well be projecting all that onto you - if so, please forgive me, and ignore me.

BUT - isn't there alot of freedom with MFW to vary the amount of "challenge" for each student? I know that they are very into Charlotte Mason - but that there are other users who post here that combine MFW with WTM. So, for example, if you want to up the ante for your 7th grader, could you add in outlining next year?

I have been told that the 1850-Modern Times year includes outlining, but I think it's the outlining in the SOTW-AG, which I can't whole-heartedly recommend. I would recommend outlining from a portion of the SOTW story *or* just a portion of one of the MFW sources. But, even if you did the SOTW-AG outlining, that wouldn't be the end of the world. I just think it's frustrating because the outlines leave out so much information, it's hard to figure out what the original outliner thought was important enough to outline.

(ETA: I don't know that "outlining" should be equated with "deeper." What do you think would have made last year's study deeper? I would really like to know since I'll be doing EXP-1850 with my 7th grader this year!)

Don't forget that a 7th grader will likely be starting Apologia General Science, which is difficult, especially at the beginning of the year. (It seems the beginning of the book is more difficult than the last part of the book to me.) Another way to go deeper would be with literature. You might consider Lightning Literature (our own Christine has free schedules at her Core Foundations Blog). If your DS hasn't read the books on the 7th grade List in the WTM, I would highly recommend that to you. I really believe that the literature listed in the Logic Stage section of WTM is what prepared my older DS for the Ancient Great Books.

For your twins, it sounds to me like they just need more time with free reading. I think I read that MFW schedules Book Basket for 20 minutes daily, but the WTM suggestion for free reading is more like an hour a day. (That's in addition to "Literature" time.) So, maybe there's a happy medium somewhere? Maybe Twin #1 might need to have some videos and/or audio books from the library allowed during that "Book Basket/Free Reading" Time. (not necessarily every day, but try a video once a week?) And, Twin #1 might choose non-fiction (and stick with the same topic for three weeks - that's ok! who says he can't?) While Twin #2 can choose a good historical fiction and read to his heart's content. (Actually, sounds like he might enjoy some good videos, too.)

I just hate to see you throw away a good tool when you have kids who "like it" and "want to continue." Change it. Tweak it. Make it work for you.

And, please tell me what you think would have made it deeper. I would really like to know.

Edited by Rhondabee

I haven't actually started MFW. I admit I turned to it because I have 3 kids in 3 very different learning stages, and some health issues of my own and a very tight outside schedule helping my DH's business. I have always planned my own history and lit using WTM and just couldn't do it anymore - and I admit I could very well be projecting all that onto you - if so, please forgive me, and ignore me.

BUT - isn't there alot of freedom with MFW to vary the amount of "challenge" for each student? I know that they are very into Charlotte Mason - but that there are other users who post here that combine MFW with WTM. So, for example, if you want to up the ante for your 7th grader, could you add in outlining next year?

(ETA: I don't know that "outlining" should be equated with "deeper." What do you think would have made last year's study deeper? I would really like to know since I'll be doing EXP-1850 with my 7th grader this year!)

Actually, I think the study would be deep enough for my 7th grader, between the outlining and the way he likes to continue researching a topic; it's the way the course moves through history very quickly that is harder for my two ds9 to keep track of - and impossible for ds7. And I don't want to buy the whole program just for ds12...

Don't forget that a 7th grader will likely be starting Apologia General Science, which is difficult, especially at the beginning of the year. (It seems the beginning of the book is more difficult than the last part of the book to me.) Another way to go deeper would be with literature. You might consider Lightning Literature (our own Christine has free schedules at her Core Foundations Blog). If your DS hasn't read the books on the 7th grade List in the WTM, I would highly recommend that to you. I really believe that the literature listed in the Logic Stage section of WTM is what prepared my older DS for the Ancient Great Books.

Good suggestions - he has read many of the WTM suggestions along with many Ambleside and Sonlight books - hard to keep this kid in books! I plan to use LL8 with him next year regardless of our history choices. And my daughter used Apologia general last year and I know he'll enjoy it.

For your twins, it sounds to me like they just need more time with free reading. I think I read that MFW schedules Book Basket for 20 minutes daily, but the WTM suggestion for free reading is more like an hour a day. (That's in addition to "Literature" time.) So, maybe there's a happy medium somewhere? Maybe Twin #1 might need to have some videos and/or audio books from the library allowed during that "Book Basket/Free Reading" Time. (not necessarily every day, but try a video once a week?) And, Twin #1 might choose non-fiction (and stick with the same topic for three weeks - that's ok! who says he can't?) While Twin #2 can choose a good historical fiction and read to his heart's content. (Actually, sounds like he might enjoy some good videos, too.)

We did love the MFW books basket and would continue that whatever we choose, it's a great way to add to our studies. They were each regularly assigned a historical fiction book as their reader and that too would continue - it is a plus for the ds with poor auditory skills (and minor hearing loss), and a necessary challenge for the child who needs vision therapy. But I want the history I read to them to be a major part of their studies - and something that will stick with their different learning styles. Looking at the guide for 1850-modern, it just moves so quickly! I'm thinking I need to slow it down for these guys and allow them (and me) to have a little more fun spending a longer time in some areas, going on rabbit trails. At the end of the year we did that with Lewis and Clark, and the Oregon Trail, but if I did that all year, we'd have gotten through very little in terms of the curriculum as written.

I just hate to see you throw away a good tool when you have kids who "like it" and "want to continue." Change it. Tweak it. Make it work for you.

I so get what you're saying...just not sure it's tweakable for what I need right now, and that's why I'm considering other options.

QUOTE]

Thank you, I really appreciate your input and typing this all out is giving me lots to think about.

Blessings,

Aimee

Soooo, I am tossing around:

-Biblioplan, which I've used in the past, but Streams of Civilization and History of US seem old for 4th graders, and are scheduled frequently. Considering using it for ds 12, who wants to keep studying in the context of the whole world and not just US history, and something else for the others.

- Sonlight Core 4 for the youngest three, with History of US scheduled separately for ds12 and colorful books thrown in for my visual guys. (ds12 could read through SOTW 4 on his own if he'd like)

- HOD for youngest three - using Beyond (I think, it's the American history year for 7-9), with the supplement for the 4th graders, and something else for ds12.

- WP American Story II (which I own) for the youngest three, and something else for ds12. I didn't love the scheduling at all though...

Well....

I think part of it is trying to study from 1850-modern day world history and US history in one school year - LOL! It's just a lot to cover. (Edited: I think I would do the SL Core 4 and add in the SOTW-4 without also adding in the History of the US of the options above.)

I know from scheduling SOTW-4 myself that there were some weeks we didn't even read from the Kingfisher encyclopedia to introduce the topic - all we did was read SOTW. We read one story a day. We might have copied a map. We wrote an outline or a narration, and that was it. I imagine with any program that adds in extra books, it would get confusing. (Especially for young ones.)

I would encourage you to shelter your young ones (they will be *going* into 4th grade??) next year. There was material in Modern history that my then-5th grader told me he would have preferred not to have known (nukes and lynchings), and I decided that history was over for him that year (at the death of JFK). Also, just because material is scheduled to be covered doesn't mean you must cover it. IOW, for the in-depth history assignment, choose *one* history source a day for your twins, if that helps. Or, choose one or two topics spread over the whole week for them, while letting your 7th grader read some things independently. (You can do this *whatever* curriculum you decide on.) So, you could do like we did and choose to use a different story out of SOTW every day *or* you could choose to study ...oh...let's pretend...Abraham Lincoln on M/T/W from SOTW and 2 other sources and then study Helen Killer on Th/F out of SOTW and an additional source. Meanwhile, 7th grader is studying ALL the sources on ALL the topics for that week (usually 4 or 5 topics/wk, tho' hopefully Abe gets more than 1 day IRL - LOL!). Does that make sense? Probably not, but I'm sure you'll figure it out for yourself - LOL!

Edited by Rhondabee

I think HOD's Beyond for your younger three is a great idea. I used it for part of a year with one of mine and we both enjoyed it. We would have continued it, but the following fall I wanted to start everyone back in ancients with my oldest. I have a feeling I'll use it again when my two oldest hit the modern year and I want something different for the next two.

I think it would be gentle enough for your youngest and bite-size enough for your twin who wants to linger on a subject longer. There is usually something to make or do sometime during the week - for your visual twin. There is a storytime "box" that will allow you to pick a read aloud - which gives you some nice flexibility if there's something you want to study deeper - or something you want to read that's unrelated to the rest of the study. You can easily tailor LA and Math for each child. And you can add the extension pack or anything else you feel like you need to for either of your twins. It may feel light, but there's plenty there to chew on. And it will make your planning easier. Then you can use whatever you like to meet the needs of your 7th grader without worrying that you've compromised quality for your younger ones.

Do you *have* to do modern American history next year? I used MFW 1850-Modern Times with my 5th grader last year, & I understand exactly what you're talking about--but I think many of the same issues will come up with any curriculum studying that particular time period. In addition, as someone else suggested, this time period can be distressing & young children may not be ready for the content.

Dana, Paths of Exploration looks interesting, thank you for the link.

Rhondabee, thank you for your suggestion re: Sonlight Core 4 w/just SOTW - I hadn't considered not adding in History of Us, but that is a very viable idea. You are right, it is a huge amount of history to cover and much is indeed very difficult matter.

Lynn, I am so intrigued by HOD and think it might have some material that is very good for at least two of my ds, and interesting to the others as well. Thanks for weighing in.

Kassi - do we have to do modern American history next year? Funny thing, I was just asking myself that question this morning as well. A good thing to chew on as I consider options. At the very least, I can consider waiting to do it - in depth at least - with the three youngest, while letting ds12 move forward, as he is quite ready. Hmmmm.

Fun fact - the "twins" are actually 6 weeks apart, born in Korea and adopted a year apart. It has been fun to have instant three-year-old twins and see them grow together. Ds7 also came as a three-year-old and has had more trouble with language - another reason I want to be sure not to "miss" his needs in planning school.

Thank you all. Happy 4th of July!

Blessings,

Aimee

Edited by Evergreen Academy

I have four kids, and if mine were the ages yours are, I would use Paths of Exploration for all of them at the same place. It gives the option of three different grade levels, but it is even flexible with that. My 2nd grader wasn't quite ready for the third grade option, so we began with the fourth grader only this past year. He LOVES it. We will continue and will add each one to the program as we go. It is a true living books approach, so it is rich with reading as well as skills. It deserves a close look. Best of luck to you!

I have four kids, and if mine were the ages yours are, I would use Paths of Exploration for all of them at the same place. It gives the option of three different grade levels, but it is even flexible with that. My 2nd grader wasn't quite ready for the third grade option, so we began with the fourth grader only this past year. He LOVES it. We will continue and will add each one to the program as we go. It is a true living books approach, so it is rich with reading as well as skills. It deserves a close look. Best of luck to you!

This is exactly what I was going to suggest as well. There's also Paths of Settlement that covers different topics. I felt like your first ds9 with the "whirlwind" of strict chronological history. I really wanted to stop and go deeper. I think Trail Guide to Learning would suit all your children's desires. They are also coming out with a middle school supplement for 7-8 graders. I know how frustrating looking for the perfect history curriculum can be!! Good luck!!