Menu

American History for k/1st suggestions?

What I want to do for history this year (K/1st) is go through Early American History (probably up to the pioneers) I just want to read some good books (I'm thinking 2 days a week) do a project here and there and probably some narration and/or copywork. Really simple, fun and light.

Any suggestions on curriculum? :)

I LOVE Adventures in My Father's World!! It is recommended for 2/3rd grade but my k/1st kids joined right in and loved it. It can easily be done in 2-3 days a week and you can skip/add whatever you like. The book basket lists dozens of great titles you can pick up at the library.

http://www.mfwbooks.com/adventures_my_fathers_world.htm

P.S. I know a lot of people say the state sheets get boring but my 3yo begged for them every day!!

Edited by farmwife
correct link

Thanks! I've been looking @ those... I think it's more than what I want though. I don't want to spend much and I already have a LA and math program

I have the book "Turning Back the Pages Time A Guide to American History through Literature" and while I love the list I guess I'm looking for something to thread all the random books together you know? I just worry about finding that link when I read a book about the Native Americans one week then Leif Erickson the next... does that make sense? Or am I totally overthinking it all?

Maybe I'm looking for a spine? Then add on other books?

• 1 year later...

Hi ladies,

I know this seems to be an older thread, but I thought I'd share just incase anyone is still looking! We're using history for little pilgrims this year with my dd5 (dd3 listens in as well!) an it's fantastic! Bible based history book with review at the end of the chapters. Our favorite part so far has been making our time line! It's listed for grade 1 but it's easily used for younger or older in my opinion. It's just an all around great intro to history. There's never any book work until unit review and even then it's really simple "a large piece of land in the ocean is called...?" after we just read it. It's a nice way to get then used to review and history. I love it! And so do my kids!!