Menu

Has anyone ever used any of the fossil sets form RR?

Aludlam

Hi,

I thought I'd add a fossil set for some hands on study for next year. Has anyone ever bought any of the sets from RR (or anywhere else for that matter)? If so, which ones and what are you thoughts about them?

thanks

Angela

We studied fossils when my daughter was 4, but she totally, totally loved it! So of course I encouraged her passion and got some fun stuff. We didn't purchase these from Rainbow Resource (that place isn't the first place that comes to mind when I think fossils), but what we got is extremely similar. Just make sure your child isn't expecting a huge dinosaur bone! Anyway, this was so fun, seeing her so excited and wanting to be a paleontologist.

We added to our fossil collection:

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Fossil+Starter+Bag/020397/1278032335-1078285

And this to explore more:

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Fossil+Excavation+Kits/046845/1278032335-1078285

Blogged with photos here.

and videos here and here (we are cracking up how babyish she sounded a year ago!)

and here.

This probably wouldn't be the route to go for a starter set, but start keeping your eyes open when you're around beds of landscape rocks. Some beds aren't don't have much, but we've plucked some great fossils out of that gravel you most people just walk by and don't notice. A few places have turned out to be great sources of marine fossils: coral, shells, crinoids, a sea urchin, and I even found a very nice vertebrate (which I think was from a fish).

We did fossil dig's this year for all three of my children and to keep it frugal we made them ourselves.

First we purchased shells, starfish, annything small at the Dollar/Craft store. Then the hubby got a bucket of dirt & some cookie sheets and made up a few 'mud pies'. Let dry/harden in the sun.

The kids had a blast using toothbrushes, little paintbrushes, and some little tool the hubby had-as little picks to excavate their finds.