Menu

Need a Trojan War era book recommendation

Melissa B

We are doing Ancient Greece this year. I need one or two more books for our first term, for dd10 only.

She will be doing the first ten Chapters of Famous Men of Greece (up through the Trojan War.)

Corresponding chapters in Story of Greece - MacGregor

perhaps corresponding chapters in Story of the Greek People - Tappan

the Iliad for literature (We are spending the whole term on the Iliad.)

I have two additional books for dd 12 - one on the Trojan War and a biography on Schliemann. But they are both above the reading level of dd10. I would appreciate any recommendations on non-fiction books about the Trojan War, Minoans, Mycenaeans, etc that you have enjoyed. Unfortunately our library is terrible and we don't use it - so that is out.

Thanks!

I don't have The Trojan War by Olivia Coolidge yet (it is on the way) but I was pretty sure that it is fiction.

There are a couple on Amazon but I haven't seen them myself yet. If anything this gives you a bump...:D

Edited by Kfamily

I don't have The Trojan War by Olivia Coolidge yet (it is on the way) but I was pretty sure that it is fiction.

There are a couple on Amazon but I haven't seen them myself yet. If anything this gives you a bump...:D

Coolidge's book is fantastic and should definitely hold the interest of a 10yo. Does it have to be nonfiction? It goes beyond retelling The Iliad and includes the myths from before and for after. It's very well done.

ETA: Sorry, didn't see you were doing the whole term on the Iliad.

Edited by swimmermom3
Addition

Thanks, I'll look into the Fire of Ares. We have read the Trojan War by Coolidge. I agree, it is a great book.

I probably should have been more general in my post title. The book doesn't have to be about the Trojan War. Any non-fiction books on the Minoan or Mycenaean peoples or Greek Mythology would be great.

We are doing Ancient Greece this year. I need one or two more books for our first term, for dd10 only.

She will be doing the first ten Chapters of Famous Men of Greece (up through the Trojan War.)

Corresponding chapters in Story of Greece - MacGregor

perhaps corresponding chapters in Story of the Greek People - Tappan

the Iliad for literature (We are spending the whole term on the Iliad.)

I have two additional books for dd 12 - one on the Trojan War and a biography on Schliemann. But they are both above the reading level of dd10. I would appreciate any recommendations on non-fiction books about the Trojan War, Minoans, Mycenaeans, etc that you have enjoyed. Unfortunately our library is terrible and we don't use it - so that is out.

Thanks!

The Ancient Greece of Odysseus by Peter Connolly. It might be out of print, but it is worth getting a used copy. He also wrote The Ancient City, but that might be more than you're wanting.

The Ancient Greece of Odysseus by Peter Connolly. It might be out of print, but it is worth getting a used copy. He also wrote The Ancient City, but that might be more than you're wanting.

Thanks! The Ancient Greece of Odysseus and The Ancient City both look great, as does his Greek Legends: the Stories, the Evidence. And he has several books that look good for our study of Ancient Rome next year! :)