Menu

IQ of 65 - mild MR - resources?

My dd (4.5) has just been diagnosed with mild mental retardation. I am looking for any resources that might help our family. We are planning to send her to public pre-k this year, and maybe for a few years, and see how it goes. I could use any resources though! Though the diagnosis isn't a surprise, it is still overwhelming as I have 3 other kids, one of them a baby. Thanks!

what kind of resources? If you are looking for ideas on supplementing her education, the most important thing is expectations. Maintain high expectations and don't let the school tell you "she won't...".

I have an almost 9 yo who has down syndrome. His IQ has been tested above the MR range, but he struggles. But I know and the school knows he will read fluently, he will learn basic math and he does participate with typical peers.

Also, there is no one size fits all. My ds does benefit from participating in group activities with typical peers. He really does learn from them. He does get individual/small group attention for reading and math, but other things he's in a regular class. Having watched him in swim lessons, he really does benefit from seeing other kids do something--he follows them and does it too. However, not all kids with learning issues do well with this approach. So, you'll be watching and figuring out your dd's learning style over time.

I can tell you some specifics of what I've done, but I'm not sure that's what your question is.

I do a lot of afterschooling with my ds and I don't take advantage of the summer school program the school offers. I do "summer school" at home.

I have 3 kids with cognitive delays. My 22ds has an IQ of 55, 14dd tests out at 38 (but acts more like a 60-65) and 13dd tests at 72.

I homeschooled them but eventually they went to school. Ds started in 6th grade, 14dd started last year in 7th grade and this fall 13dd will start for the first time.

I would focus on making sure she gets any OT, PT, and speech she needs, as much as possible. Those skills can help lay the foundation for the reading, writing and math skills for later.

For reading, NOTHING beats the I See Sam books in my opinion. http://www.iseesam.com and http://www.3rsplus.com They are wonderful as they move more slowly and give LOTS of practice with each new skill/sound/word. The child starts out with learning 5 sounds which they blend into 3 words and they can then read 2 different stories. I would likely wait though until she is closer to 6 or 7 to start actual reading instruction. It took my daughter (with the IQ of 38) YEARS to get through the K and 1st grade sets but now can read easy chapter books. It was a LOT of work for both of us, but she DID learn to read.

Once they can read at least a 2nd grade level I really like ACE paces or Christian Light light units. You might have to move at a slower pace but they are very structured with bite size bits of information. I like ACE social studies and science nad CLE math and reading. For spelling, I really like Apples and Pears spelling but I would wait until she is reading at a solid mid/late 1st grade level to start that.

I agree with spending time with her "normal" peers (and she has siblings as well :001_smile:). There might come a time though when her "peer group" will be a group of special needs children--esp. as you approach the teen years. My kids all did well in the homeschool groups for K-6th grade but once they reached the 7-12th grade groups they really got lost and the other kids, while nice to them, just didn't fit the "friend" bill for the most part.

My 14dd is now attending a program for special needs teens/young adults ages 14-26 that is run by a local church ministry. They have a club she can attend 2-3 days a week for 5 hours a day during the summer. She LOVES to go and they have lots of special needs teens coming and then groups of "normal" teen/young adult mentors to do activities with them. It is a great mix of both worlds.

Special Olympics is also a wonderful resource once you reach 8 years old.

Please feel free to ask more questiosn, etc. Looking back there are things I wish I would have done, things I wish I would NOT have done, etc.

As to public school. I would take it year by year. With the right teachers/aides/classmates/therapists, school can be WONDERFUL for kids with special needs. If the mix/fit is not right though then homeschooling might be the best option. My 14dd loves school so much she opted to ride the BUS to school each day rather than having me bring her and she didn't want to even go on vacation because she would miss school.