Menu

Kindergarten - McRuffy Math, Reading & Science??

Angel in FL

I've been searching the board and reading some posts about this as well as looking at their site. If you use this and love it, I'd like to know why you you use it instead of other programs. What makes you love it?

Would doing Math & Phonics/Reading be enough for K or do we need to do Science too?

What do you all think about their Science program?

Thanks, in advance, for the information.:)

I used McRuffy K phonics and math for my dd and she really enjoyed it. She had a lot of fun with the worksheets and the games included. We did a lot of fishing around with other programs after that (because I was curious what else was out there and they didn't have the nice color stuff for the higher grades back then) but I plan to go back to using it this fall for my K age son. I enjoy teaching it. It's scripted enough without being over the top. There is just enough work on a page without being overwhelming.

It's been about 3 years since I used the science, but my dd had fun with it. It touches on a bit from all areas of science each year and it's easy to implement on a 2 day a week schedule. It certainly isn't necessary for a good K year, but it's not to pricey and is fun.

Guest RecumbentHeart
Focusing on reading and math should be enough. You could add books focused on nature/science to your readalouds for enrichment.

This is basically what we are doing. Any extra subjects we're approaching through read alouds at this point. Another way you can include some science on top of read alouds is by simple kitchen experiments and such to give them another way to explore the world around them. DH does this stuff with the children every week or so. It's a fun time for them and you can find ideas free online.

I just recently finished McRuffy K reading and math with my 5 year old. We loved a lot about both. I liked how easy to use the tm was, with a lesson on each page and the objectives and preparation listed on top, and the lightly scripted lessons that made teaching very easy. Harder concepts were followed by easier ones while reviewing, so it flowed nicely without being overwhelming. I liked how there was a balance between hands-on practice, games and one workbook page per lesson. The math games especially helped my ds a lot with counting while having fun. My ds loved the readers, they are amazingly action packed to keep interest. The color workbook pages were fun without being distracting. I was impressed at the end of the program to see how much he learned in reading and math.

I always wanted to get the science but couldn't spend so much. Instead, we read lots of Magic School Bus books and Janice Van Cleave science experiment books from the library, and then started Galloping the Globe with Science Around the World for more fun and educational reading and activities.

I did a weekly update on my blog the whole time we did McRuffy K reading and math, so you can see a week at a glance if you're into reading it here.

We will be using the Phonics, the Math and the Science this year. I would say that focusing on the phonics and math would be enough, BUT, my kids are big science kind of kids (thanks to Sid the Science Kid) and we have already before my littles are ready for K, read most of the Magic School Bus books more times than I would like to count and also have read almost all of the Let's Read and Find Out books (which my kids love as well).

My "littles" want to do hands on science things like their brother so we went with the McRuffy.. which I had to hide because I can't keep them out of the fun goodies that it has in the lab kit (had to hide the math manipulative also..lol). We will also be doing some nature study stuff and still reading lots of science-y books (over and over...lol).