Menu

Teaching Piano?

*Jessica*

We are getting a piano from Marc's grandmother and have the opportunity to get some very reasonably priced lessons. It is only going to cost me $5/half-hour for lessons in piano or voice from someone with a BS in music education who also spent a year at the Hartt School of Music in Hartford, CT studying pre-opera. She has been giving voice lessons since she was 16 years old (not sure how long she has done piano lessons), and has experience working with young children. I am crossing my fingers that this turns out to be as good as it sounds. She seems like a wonderful lady.

Or, we can do the expensive group class with the Music Together® teacher. This would also mean that I need to buy two keyboards for the boys to use in class. And it would mean a public recital, which is something my oldest would hate.

So.....if we go with the private lessons, what is a good program to buy for use with a beginning student? She is willing to use whatever materials I buy. My sons will be 5 and 7. She said that she grew up with the Leila Fletcher Piano Course, but that it is now out of print. I'll also need a book on music theory.

Please help!

ETA~I did a search, but everything I was finding was for teaching piano at home without a teacher. We have a teacher, so they don't seem to apply!

I'd go for the lessons. You're not going to beat that price. I've also never heard of a group class where you have to bring your own keyboard.

I have two favorites- For a more complete music program, with a little piano for young kids (pre K or K age), I like Music for Little Mozarts. It's a gentle introduction to piano and music theory with a lot of singing, moving, and music literature built in. There are 4 levels that correspond to Primer in most other methods.

For older kids, or after MLM, I like Piano Adventures, by Faber and Faber.