Menu

What to call the math my dd will do this year?

I am finally on a good course for dd to get through math with me. She is finishing LOF Advanced algebra this summer-I will label that Alg 2 and count it for 11th grade. Then she goes on to Trig and then calculus. She will not get through the Calculus book but probably have one semester of it. WHat should I call the math she gets in senior year?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Trig and the first part of LOF Calculus are usually called "Pre-Calculus."

Edited to clarify:

What I called it would probably depend on how much was completed. If Trig and around 1/4th of Calculus were completed I'd probably call it "Pre-Calculus." If Trig and around 1/2 of Calculus were completed I think I'd break it into two 1 semester classes: "Trigonometry" & "Intro to Calcus."

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Cheryl, are you basing that on actually seeing LoF? I'm curious because I was just looking at LoF tonight and trying to decide how we would use it for my dd who has completed Alg2 (including some trig) and was planning to go into pre-calc. But of course now we are switching to a different math program.

As for the original topic, I'm not familiar enough with LoF yet to be able to answer... but I look forward to hearing what you decide!

Stacey

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Cheryl, are you basing that on actually seeing LoF? I'm curious because I was just looking at LoF tonight and trying to decide how we would use it for my dd who has completed Alg2 (including some trig) and was planning to go into pre-calc. But of course now we are switching to a different math program.

As for the original topic, I'm not familiar enough with LoF yet to be able to answer... but I look forward to hearing what you decide!

Stacey

There are 4 things covered in LOF Calculus:

• Multi-variable Calculus
  • Analytic Geometry
  • Vector Calculus
  • Differential Equations

There was discussion on here a while ago that one of them (I think, but am not 100% sure, that it's Analytic Geometry) is what is combined with Trig to make "Pre-Calculus." I do have LOF Calculus but we haven't done it yet. I wouldn't call a class Calculus unless the entire book was completed. What I called it would probably depend on how much was completed. If Trig and around 1/4th of Calculus were completed I'd probably call it "Pre-Calculus." If Trig and around 1/2 of Calculus were completed I think I'd break it into two 1 semester classes: "Trigonometry" & "Intro to Calcus."