Menu

Trivium Pursuit's Homeschool Greek: Is it worth 1 credit?...

Here's a link, fyi.

I've searched the net and couldn't find any info other than "official" reviews, which all look really good. Any nay-sayers here?

Thanks!

Edited by Rhondabee
received an email from the Bluedorns answering questions about credits

Well, I heard from the Bluedorn's that each volume of Homeschool Greek is equivalent to 1/2 year of college Greek, so I think that Volume 1 would be enough for a full credit.

But, I'd still love to know if anyone here has actually *used* it (or seen it).

Or, even just knows someone IRL who has...

;)

I used HSG I for self-ed back in 2005 or so. I thought it was very well done, lots of information, really jam-packed. Harvey Bluedorn seems like a very intelligent man and he shares all kinds of info, etymology, history of Koine, the Bible, etc. If you want a simple, teach me the basics of Koine program don't choose HSG, but if you like learning all kinds of neat little tid-bits in addition to the Koine I highly recommend it. One other caution, I purchased the Beta for HSG II in September of 2006, it's still beta.

My husband used HSG Volume I for his Greek self-education as well since he's our resident Greek teacher. Like Karenciavo, he really liked the program, but he didn't use it to teach our boys because Volume II has never come out of beta testing. Therefore, he chose to use all 3 volumes of Elementary Greek by Gatchell followed by New Testament for Greek (with accompanying workbook) to teach our boys Koine Greek.

I just checked the table of contents. As expected, they waste a lot of time on nothing and on delaying things (as a lot of curricula...) and everything they introduced could (should) be done in double as less lessons and time. I'm not even sure I would give it a full credit because, when you look at the essence, they actually cover quite LITTLE (comparison of this and that, special lessons for special cases of special cases... a complete waste of time, if you ask me - those are good if you study grammar thoroughly at some point, but when learning the language, it's a waste of time), and they don't cover even BASIC verbal morphology (let's say the present and present participle + contract verbs; along with hiemi, hiestemi, tithemi and didomi).

I also completely disagree, from linguistic point of view, with the sequence (what is introduced when), but even if I disregard that, they cover quite little and no verbs. Get Smyth for thorough grammar musings of this type, and a course that will actually teach verbs and "break" some of nominal morphology into two years. This way, you can't read ANYTHING after the first year due to the lack of verbs, verba contracta and the "problematic four".

My husband used HSG Volume I for his Greek self-education as well since he's our resident Greek teacher. Like Karenciavo, he really liked the program, but he didn't use it to teach our boys because Volume II has never come out of beta testing. Therefore, he chose to use all 3 volumes of Elementary Greek by Gatchell followed by New Testament for Greek (with accompanying workbook) to teach our boys Koine Greek.

Hi, Beth!

I googled "New Testament for Greek" and couldn't find anything that looked like a Greek curriculum. Do you have a publisher or a link you could share?

Thanks!

Sorry, that should have read 'New Testament Greek for Beginners' by Machen.

Here are the books we are using:

http://www.amazon.com/Testament-Greek-Beginners-Gresham-Machen/dp/B000O2W7HI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277233453&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.com/Testament-Greek-Beginnings-David-Thompson/dp/0024206504/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277233453&sr=8-4

There's a new edition of NT Greek for Beg, but it's very expensive, and we've found that the older editions work just as well. When we bought ours, the older editions were only $10-$15, but the cheapest I could find on Amazon was $20. You could probably search the web for cheaper prices.

HTH!

Sorry, that should have read 'New Testament Greek for Beginners' by Machen.

Here are the books we are using:

http://www.amazon.com/Testament-Greek-Beginners-Gresham-Machen/dp/B000O2W7HI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277233453&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.com/Testament-Greek-Beginnings-David-Thompson/dp/0024206504/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277233453&sr=8-4

There's a new edition of NT Greek for Beg, but it's very expensive, and we've found that the older editions work just as well. When we bought ours, the older editions were only $10-$15, but the cheapest I could find on Amazon was $20. You could probably search the web for cheaper prices.

HTH!

Much better, thanks!