Menu

Seattle soccer fans, our team has a name:

Seattle Sounders has always been the name of the amateur soccer team. As of 2009 Seattle is home to a Major League Soccer team and they added FC to the team name (Futbol Club). They will play at Qwest Field.

The former majority owner of is one of the minority owners of the new MLS team.

Seattle Sounders has always been the name of the amature soccer team. As of 2009 Seattle is home to a Major League Soccer team and they added FC to the team name (Futbol Club). They will play at Qwest Field.

The former majority owner of is one of the minority owners of the new MLS team.

Very cool!! Is your hubby going to do any work for them?

If the current team is going to morph into the MLS team' date=' he's got to be excited!

K[/quote']

Because the new team will be Major League Soccer (as opposed to the current Sounders team which is amateur soccer) the players will not automatically be on the Sounders FC team. I do believe there will be a couple of players who will be brought up, and one of them will sign the first player contract tomorrow (Wed.).

I think they should've come up with an original name. Seems kinda odd to me to duplicate Sounders. And the "FC"...I'm not real keen on American clubs trying to sound international. Real Madrid works; Real Salt Lake...doesn't. Ah, well. Mine is not to reason why...;)

I think they should've come up with an original name. Seems kinda odd to me to duplicate Sounders. And the "FC"...I'm not real keen on American clubs trying to sound international. Real Madrid works; Real Salt Lake...doesn't. Ah, well. Mine is not to reason why...;)

For what it's worth, I agree.

It was offered to the public for a vote and though the owners and front office really wanted to avoid using Sounders, there was some sort of grass-roots write in campaign and over 80% of the votes used the name in one way or the other.

I think adding FC was their way of differentiating the MLS team from the original Sounders.

It was offered to the public for a vote and though the owners and front office really wanted to avoid using Sounders, there was some sort of grass-roots write in campaign and over 80% of the votes used the name in one way or the other.

Interesting. So apparently the twitch I get when I hear the word "Sounders" is not a common malady. Lemme give it a go again...

"Go, Sounders!"

"Kick it outta there, Sounders!"

Nope. Still doesn't work for me. I'm sure my guys will tolerate it, though.:D

I'm sure my boys will LOVE this! We live in the Pacific NW too, and went to Qwest field for the "demonstration" game of DC United and Real Madrid last August! It was GREAT! (Especially since gma and gpa paid for the tickets! :D )

I am sooo out of touch! Why would I not know this, especially when I have a dh and 2 ds's that are soccer fanatics!!!

Thanks for posting this!

I'm sure my boys will LOVE this! We live in the Pacific NW too, and went to Qwest field for the "demonstration" game of DC United and Real Madrid last August! It was GREAT! (Especially since gma and gpa paid for the tickets! :D )

I am sooo out of touch! Why would I not know this, especially when I have a dh and 2 ds's that are soccer fanatics!!!

Thanks for posting this!

There's another international game at Qwest Field next week, Brindee. Mexico vs. China on Wednesday evening.

It will be very interesting to see how well the Seattle area takes to the sport on the professional level.

There's another international game at Qwest Field next week, Brindee. Mexico vs. China on Wednesday evening.

It will be very interesting to see how well the Seattle area takes to the sport on the professional level.

Really? When we went to the game in August, it was COMPLETELY filled, no seats left! I was happy to see that!

With the way the other sports teams in Seattle do, I'm wondering how well this team will do. It'd be great if it outshone the other Pro teams!

Beth, we went to Mariner's games in the Kingdome! This was in the early 90's though---right around the time it started falling apart! ;)

Really? When we went to the game in August, it was COMPLETELY filled, no seats left! I was happy to see that!

I think you mean August, 2006, right? (Time flies!:)) Yeah, that was a packed house but Beckham's presence (for all of one half) was a big draw, kwim?

II think it'd be neat, at least once, to have one of our teams go ALL THE WAY!

Oh, woe is me. Gone are the days when people remembered the Sonics championship team of 1979. :::sniff, sniff::: Jack Sikma, Dennis Johnson, Gus Williams, "Downtown" Freddy Brown, Paul Silas, Lonnie Shelton...and of course, Lenny Wilkins at the helm. Am I the last one in the Pacific NW to know we actually DID have a championship team, way back when? Will the last one in Seattle please turn out the lights?

Oh, dear. I'm dating myself. But I miss those days...!