Menu

Wireless Printers?

Okay.. so Im on the search for a new printer and I keep seeing wireless everything..

:001_huh: forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how do they work?? Do they work with any computer or do have to ave some special router or something??

Are they good ? How difficult is the setup??

Thanks!! :D

I don't know how it works - hopefully someone else can give you that info. I just thought I would share what I do know. :001_huh:

When I brought our wireless printer home, I just installed the software on whichever computer we wanted to use with it, plugged it in and started printing. We do have wireless internet access, so I bet if your computer is capable of accessing the internet wirelessly you won't have any problems.

HTH,

Amy

I got a deal on a wireless printer from HP online after Christmas and it is great. It came with software that you install on each computer you want to have access to your printer. We have wireless all over the house and 6 computers and laptops can access this one printer. I had to connect my laptop to the printer with a USB cable that came with just to initally install it, but everyone else just installed the printer with the CD that came with. The only thing I wish is that it also had a copier/scanner included so I could use it for our homeschool copies. I have another printer in my classroom/office that is a scanner/printer. There is little difference in the price with or without the scanner and I don't know why I didn't think of that when I was purchasing. The HP ink cartridges are about $20 for a large black ink refill at our local Cartridge World and the color ones are $9 per color which is cheaper than ordering from HP.

If your computers are connected wirelessly, you will have no trouble setting up a wireless printer. My husband got one at Walmart shortly after I got mine to use in his out of town office. He did get the one with the printer/scanner (I'm envious). He doesn't have wireless network in his office but does have a wireless card in his computer and it works great. I think it was under $100 but don't know what brand it was.

Georgia

Edited by Georgia On My Mind

As long as your router is wireless you will be fine. It works through your network.

For instance I have a wireless printer.

We have a router as we have 2 desktops and a laptop that need internet.

The router is a wireless router so the laptop gets wireless internet but the router also has hardwire ethernet spots for the desktops.

We "hooked up" the printer by plugging it in :) Then ran the printer according to the directions for it to "find" the router.

We installed the printer driver on each computer (this comes on CD with the printer) and printed a test page.

Viola! Done. Easy as pie and I love it.

Please feel free to PM me if you need more info!

As long as your router is wireless you will be fine. It works through your network.

For instance I have a wireless printer.

We have a router as we have 2 desktops and a laptop that need internet.

The router is a wireless router so the laptop gets wireless internet but the router also has hardwire ethernet spots for the desktops.

We "hooked up" the printer by plugging it in :) Then ran the printer according to the directions for it to "find" the router.

We installed the printer driver on each computer (this comes on CD with the printer) and printed a test page.

Viola! Done. Easy as pie and I love it.

Please feel free to PM me if you need more info!

Okay thank you! My laptop has verizon wireless card built in so I guess I shouldnt have a problem. Still shopping for a printer, Definately need the copier couldnt live without it!

Sounds like it will be really handy not to have it connected with a cord. :D

It's magic, I tell ya. . .pure magic!:D

When it comes to computer stuff, I defer to my dh. When he set up our newest computer with larger monitor and new printer, I thought nothing of it. Then one day as I sat here reading a post, the lights started blinking on the printer and before I knew it paper was being sucked in and the happy sound of printing began and I nearly jumped out of my skin. My first thought was, "Ackkk! What did I do now?!!" Then, I heard a low snickering coming from the direction of my dh. He was sitting in the other room with his laptop and had just sent a document to the printer. Well, *I* didn't know you could do that! He said the look on my face was well, priceless.

And yes, we have a wireless router so perhaps I should have known.:tongue_smilie: