Menu

Math after Rod & Staff

After using both ABeka and Saxon math and not enjoying either one bit, this year the twins used Rod & Staff Grade 7 Math and loved it. They are almost done with the books and insist we stick with it. They were very disappointed to find out they can only use R&S for one more year. What math program would be most similar to R&S for 9th grade? They definitely benefited from the mastery style of teaching. The Saxon filled their minds with too many things at once without enough practice on each concept and eventually completely overwhelmed them.

Thanks!

Monica

On www.rodandstaffbooks.com they recommend Videotext. I think MUS is also mastery.

We used Rod and Staff from 2nd-7th and then switched to LOF and Math Relief. Math Relief is mastery and is reviewed by Cathy Duffy in her Top 100 Picks books.:001_smile:

I know they sell Videotext at http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com, but it always surprises me because I often hear people say that Videotext did not have enough practice for their children and Rod & Staff is so far to the other extreme of that.

R&S is supposed to be coming out with an algebra program, but I'm not sure when it will be ready. I think it will be at least a couple of years though.

Lisa

We're going to be in the same boat and I went ahead and bought Lial's BCM to do instead of R&S 8, then move on to Lials Intro to Algebra. We're throwing in a little LOF here and there (just cause my son likes it). Just got the BCM book last week and I think it will work here. I'm really bummed that R&S doesn't go all the way through high school though : ( I heard that they are working on an Algebra book, maybe it will be done in time for my daughter!