Menu

Anybody here own a 2005 or 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe? Likes? Dislikes?

Dh & I are looking at a used 2005 Santa Fe with 63,000 miles. It is very clean looking and handles well. I would love to hear from owners of similar cars. What do you like/dislike about your Santa Fe? What kind of gas mileage do you get? Any advice for me?

I honestly don't remember what year our Santa Fe was, but around that time. Perhaps a few years earlier. It was hands down the best car we ever had. We had it for six years until it was totaled in an accident. We never had any problems with it and it fit our needs very well. Just routine maintenance: tires, brakes, and battery after about 5 years.

When we went to purchase a replacement vehicle, we went looking for a used (2 years old) Santa Fe, but we found a better deal on a Kia Sorento which is essentially the same thing. We love it, too!

I was very hesitant to purchase a Hyundai or Kia. The first few years we owned the Santa Fe, I cringed anytime I had to tell someone what type of car we had (sad, I know). I'm over that now. I like the way they look, they are safe, they are well-built, and they are reasonably priced.

Oh, I will tell you this, though. Sam's and Wal-mart, at least in my area, do not carry the tires or battery for my Kia. That may or may not matter to you. We found tires at an independent place and Advance Auto Parts carries the battery.

ETA: Gas Mileage. Hmmm. I'm not sure of the exact number. Probably in the mid-twenties. Gas has been running $2.45 in my town and it takes about $40 to fill my tank. I generally travel within a 20 mile radius of my home, running errands most every day, and that tank will last me 10 days to 2 weeks. It's better than some, but not nearly as good as my husband's Ford Escape (35+/mpg). Hope that helps!

Edited by Melabella

My dd just bought a Hyundai Sante Fe and I absolutely love it. When I reach the stage where I don't need a minivan any more this will definitely be the car I get. It handles just like my minivan. It is comfortable, seats five and has plenty of storage space in the back. It is sit higher off the ground like a van instead of low like a car which I really like. It drives smooth and handles well. The back seats are broken up s that you can lay down 1/3 of the seat or 2/3 of the seat depending on your storage needs and there are 4 cups holdersin the front seat and six in the back which is very important to our family. It gets good gas milage. I really can't think of any problems at all. I would definitely recommend it.

We don't have a Santa Fe. We've had an Elantra and just bought a Tucson this past winter. ALMOST bought a Santa Fe though.

Don't have any reservations about Hyundai. Their quality ranks up there with Toyota and Honda but since they've still got a bit of a reputation from the bad old days their resale value is low which is great for those of us who buy used! The Elantra was the first car we ever bought that had no recalls whatsoever (our previous Chryslers had pages of them!). The other great thing about Hyundai is that their vehicles are usually loaded with little things like power windows and such on basic models...Things other companies only give you when you pay extra.

Anyhow, I'm hoping you join the Hyundai clan! They make great vehicles. :)