Menu

I have a question about SOTW

jkwynn

I'm very new to homeschooling. In fact, we haven't started yet, I'm just gathering materials for the fall...

Anyway, I think I've decided to use SOTW with my 1st-grader-to-be, but I'm confused...there are 4 books, right? And they last through 12th grade, right?

Do you use book 1 for 1st, 5th, and 9th grade and the others in the same cycle - book 2 for 2nd, 6th, 10th grade, etc etc?

How does that work? Is it divided in the book? Or do you just go into the subject matter more intensely, or what?

Thanks in advance for any clarification...I have a convention/vendor thing coming up next weekend, and want to be clear on things before I get there...

SOTW was written for 1 - 4th grade. However - SOTW Vol 4 is appropriate for 4th - 8th grades because of the nature of the content.

So you would use Vol 1 for first grade, Vol 2 for second grade, etc. Although, any elementary grade would be appropriate. Especially since many are teaching multiple grades at one time.

That said - many use SOTW for middle grades as well (for example, Sonlight uses it for middle grades.)

In my opinion it would not be appropriate for High School at all. It is written for a much younger audience.

The four books are meant to be used for 1st-4th grade--just one cycle. Some people stretch that a bit and may use them with slightly older kids. I don't think anyone uses them for high school. Grades 5-8 repeat the same history cycle, but the kids are now in logic stage (ideally!) and need books/curricula appropriate for that stage. Grades 9-12 repeat the cycle, but again different materials appropriate for the rhetoric stage. HTH!

You'll find lots of helpful responses here :)

Book 1 is designed as a read aloud for 1st grade; in other words, it's a book you read to your 1st grader. Book 1 can be used again in 5th grade; your 5th grader can read it on his / her own at that point.

Book 2 is designed to be used in 2nd and 6th; book 3 in 3rd and 7th, book 4 in 4th and 8th. In the later grades, if you follow the recommendations in The Well Trained Mind (TWTM aka WTM), your child will also use the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia.

The activity guides provide recommendations for literature and additional history readings appropriate for each of the 4 SOTW volumes; there is an activity guide for each book. The guides also contain maps, coloring pages, and suggested projects. They are a great investment!

If you buy the activity guides, you might consider an extra set of loose leaf activity pages; they are a bit of a pain to copy from the bound volume, IMO. You can also do what I do, which is ask your dh to cut off the binding with a circular saw, then hole punch the pages and put them in a notebook. Others have this done at Kinkos :)

SWB is currently writing a 4 volume series which is designed to be used during the high school years. Volume 1 is available now; the others are forthcoming.

HTH, and welcome!

I would use CHOW for first grade, then move on to:

SOTW 1 for 2nd

SOTW 2 for 3rd

SOTW 3 for 4th

SOTW 4 for 5th

CHOW is a perfect survey of world history for a 1st grader. I would read it aloud, draw pictures, find things on a map, and do an oral narration (written down my you).

In my opinion, SOTW is excellent but too much for a 1st grader.