Menu

WWE 4 with older student?

Anyone ever done this?

I finished listening to SWB MP3's on writing with middle schoolers. I have a rising 6th grader DS, who can write a fair paragraph narration, but needs more practice.

Since there is no WWE 5 or 6.......

Could I do this for his writing for next year?

Monday: WWE 4 Narration

Tuesday: WWE 4 Dictation

Wednesday WWE 4 Narration

Thursday: Level 1 Outline, as mentioned by SWB....And level 2 after Christmas Use History or science topics for this...Will have MOH, BJU Heritage studies, and BJU6th science for these outlines.

Literature Analysis questions would be done every two weeks as he finishes a chapter book.

And a Writing Strands lesson would happen every four weeks, when he takes a break from CLE LA.

Would this work for a 6th grader? I don't want it to be too easy. BUt the narrations in WWE 4 are just awesome and it would be easy for me...Just pick up and DO IT! We have used WWE 1 and 2 with younger DD. She LOVES them.

Would this work?

Blessings,

Brenda

(P.S. SWB....the MP3's are just AWESOME!:D)

I'm using WWE 3 with my rising 7th grader. We floundered in writing all year, until I listened to SWB's talks. I broke down and bought the Strong Fundamentals book and we worked through some of level 2 before I bought the workbook for level 3. Honestly, it was a bit humbling, because I felt like I had failed him. We've completed about six weeks of level 3 and will finish up over the summer and into next year.

So, yes, WWE will work for an older child. You might do a search for WWE and my screen name to see a thread I started about the benefits of starting at a later age.

I'm using WWE 3 with my rising 7th grader. We floundered in writing all year, until I listened to SWB's talks. I broke down and bought the Strong Fundamentals book and we worked through some of level 2 before I bought the workbook for level 3. Honestly, it was a bit humbling, because I felt like I had failed him. We've completed about six weeks of level 3 and will finish up over the summer and into next year.

So, yes, WWE will work for an older child. You might do a search for WWE and my screen name to see a thread I started about the benefits of starting at a later age.

THANK YOU!!!! Are there any ways to assess where I could start with my 7th grader?

Faithe

THANK YOU!!!! Are there any ways to assess where I could start with my 7th grader?

Faithe

I bought the Strong Fundamentals book, which has samples from all four levels. After the amount of frustration we had this year it was worth it. You don't need to buy the workbooks if you have the SF book, but I didn't want to pick my own writing models.

I would recommend the SF book to get a firm grasp of where you need to place your child. I know some have found it at the library, some sample pages are available online, either PHP or Amazon, I can't remember. I'm glad I did, but if I had just picked I would have chosen WWE 4 and that would have been too hard.

I bought the Strong Fundamentals book, which has samples from all four levels. After the amount of frustration we had this year it was worth it. You don't need to buy the workbooks if you have the SF book, but I didn't want to pick my own writing models.

I would recommend the SF book to get a firm grasp of where you need to place your child. I know some have found it at the library, some sample pages are available online, either PHP or Amazon, I can't remember. I'm glad I did, but if I had just picked I would have chosen WWE 4 and that would have been too hard.

I'm so glad you mentioned this because I was just contemplating what to do for my dd going into 5th grade. Not sure what writing program to choose, but knowing I need to do SOMETHING. We are doing Class. Conv. this fall so she will get IEW but I want to do more backtracking with dictation and narration since I haven't done any really. It sounds like SF is just what I need!

I'm so glad you mentioned this because I was just contemplating what to do for my dd going into 5th grade. Not sure what writing program to choose, but knowing I need to do SOMETHING. We are doing Class. Conv. this fall so she will get IEW but I want to do more backtracking with dictation and narration since I haven't done any really. It sounds like SF is just what I need!

I do have the SWB book...and I think I am going to pull it out and see where she falls. LOL.

Easy enough.

Faithe

I started using the Strong Fundamentals books with all four of my kids a month ago after listening to SWB's lecture. It finally clicked about Narration and Dictation for me. I combine them twice a week with each kids individually and it takes less than five minutes per kids. I plan to continue it over the summer. I bought the WWE4 Student book. Right now I'm working through all of the examples in the SF book. When we finish level 3 I'll start into WWE4. I pick one of the copywork sentences in levels 1 and 2 for Dictation and just make sure I've got the right length. I don't think you need to separate Narration and Dictation into separate days. That leaves you other days to work on outlining and writing up those outlines. I sure hope SWB hurries along with the middle grades writing program!

HTH

I was cutting grass all day yesterday and never got to check on this post. WOW! I am so glad that I have not lost my mind and this might be an option for us.

The thing I have REALLY enjoyed about WWE 1 and 2 is that it is easy for me, that I can just pick this up and GO! AND it has so many benefits...My second grader is becoming a writer, right before my eyes.

After doing these narrations for a full two years with her...over and over and over and in science and history too....well, she is starting to write on her own....Yeah! It is if it is all coming together...the spelling, the writing, and her thoughts.....

So, I really wanted to just back up a little with her older brother and see if he worked really hard next year on the same kinds of things, but include the outlining...that maybe we would have the same kind of results with him also.

With my older kids, who are now 17 and 15, I had read the very first WTM(Yes, I have been homeschooling that long!) and kind of understood what I needed to do. And we did those things. But it was never on a consistant weekly basis like with WWE.

However, after using WWE and hearing SWB's MP3"s, I feel I have a MUCH better understanding of how writing needs to be taught....It truly IS writing with EASE....(Not the most difficult writing curriculum available!!! Or the most expensive for that matter.)

Thanks to all who posted here...and thank you to SWB for making our life here a little EASIER! I will have a great big thank you HUG for you when you come to Memphis next year. Can't wait!:D

Blessings to you all!

Brenda:001_smile: