Menu

Dialectic history spine needed for 20th century studies...

Also, the Hakim series-- is it too simplistic/basic for a dialectic student? (I see that it's a core spine for the Upper Grammar stage) Thanks!

Yes, too simplistic/basic, although there could be some good discussion regarding Ms. Hakim's bias and how she sometimes bends/twists the truth. :001_rolleyes: like when she states that Ike was anti arms-race and takes a quote out of context to "support" that view. I used The History of US with my upper grammar son, but I always pre-read and corrected whatever I knew was incorrect. I didn't have a dialectic student last year, but our co-op families used The Idiot's Guide and The Century for Young People by Peter Jennings which is on the alternate list as spines. Some of the moms just hated the name of The Idiot's Guide, but thought the text itself was fine, maybe a few questionable things. What about it concerns you?

From the few pages I've read (and I admit, I've only read a FEW), it seems the text may have been intended for a more mature audience. The co-op class I'll be teaching, while comprised of rising 6-8th grade students, has a wide range of maturity levels and I'm concerned about those kiddos just coming up from the UG class... concerned that they'll be overwhelmed by not only the subject matter but by the writing as well (as far as comprehension is concerned).

Now obviously, the century is what it is-- there's no getting around the fatcs. I'm just wondering if there's a gentler approach or if the Idiot's Guide (as recommended by ToG) truly is the best choice.

As an aside-- this is my first venture into the dialectic level (my oldest is 11) so I'm a bit overwhelmed myself right now... to say the least! I'm not really sure what IS acceptable (what I should expect from this age group) and what's not~

Any help would be terrific! And thanks :)

I personally feel that the Hakim series isn't too simplistic for dialectic stage. She makes a lot of connections that I think can get lost on UG kids. I also use the teacher guides for middle/high school which help flesh the books out nicely.

Louise

History of Us is too simplistic to answer the dialectic questions in TOG, the reading level may be fine, etc. but students need to provide more information. Just as an example because I was the dialectic facilitator in our co-op for week 30 during the discussion on Carter's presidency, the History of US has 1.5 pages on Carter, all it has about the Camp David peace talks is a little info in a caption under a photo and the sentence, "President Carter did serve as a peacemaker between Egypt and Israel," and students at the dialectic level need to give more than that as an answer.