Menu

Portable DVD players- dual screens? (for loooooooong car trip)

I spent about 2 hours yesterday reading the AWFUL reviews online about dual screen portable DVD players (you know the kind: you hang them on the back headrests of the front seats for the back seat to view, one of the screens has the player installed and the other is connected by a wire). The reviews were from a variety of places: cnet, Amazon, Best Buy, epinions... I couldn't find too many that were made, but the main complaint was TOTAL SHUTDOWN! They just sound like they are made really badly.

However, some of the the single screeners got great reviews. Has anyone every connected two single-screen players together so that they are playing the same DVD??

We actually have a dual screen one and we have been extremely pleased with it. It only gets used a few times a year when we go on long car trips but we have no complaints. However, ours does not have the player built into one of the screens. The player is completely separate and the screens plug into it. Unfortunately, I don't remember where we got it but it was apparently made by Alco electronics.

We actually have a dual screen one and we have been extremely pleased with it. It only gets used a few times a year when we go on long car trips but we have no complaints. However, ours does not have the player built into one of the screens. The player is completely separate and the screens plug into it. Unfortunately, I don't remember where we got it but it was apparently made by Alco electronics.

Thanks! I don't recognize that name... I'll Google!

We have a dual-screen set that we got from Sam's Club a few years ago. It was made by Unique Media, and we have been very pleased with them. They can be used individually, or hooked together. The only issue we have had is that the part that plugs into the car's lighter likes to wiggle loose, so we have to check it every hour or so, and push it in. Other that that, we have been very happy with them. We've used them on several long trips. The kids had no problem figuring out how to use them, and they've never frozen up or anything (except with a few "questionable source" DVDs, which just wouldn't play).

we have gone through 2 in the last 3.5 years, and that is with using them only for road trips, not keeping them in the car all the time. Our last 2 trips we've done without them (with our 4 and almost 6yo) and have found the leapsters to be the ticket to peace. We're going to hold off on another one for as long as we can stand it. One we got at target and one we got at circuit city or best buy. Both had different parts break. Cheap even though we paid a lot.

at this point we've got enough laptops with dvd drives to go around that if we get a converter (or whatever you call the doohicky you can put a real plug in) then we'll just go that route.