Menu

Thinking of TOG, should I go for it again?

Tohru

I used TOG Y2 Classic version with my son during the Lower Grammar years. After several months, we quit using it because it was taking too long to plan and schedule each week.

Since then, we did Sonlight Core 5. It was good, but after the year was over, I decided that I didn't like the books in Core 6 and was kind of bored with the format.

This year we are doing Ambleside, mixed with other random things.

We have 3 history periods going at the same time: Ancient Rome, Modern, and US History. In addition, we are doing Science Biography of the Ancient Greeks. I know it sounds like it's all over the place, but my son is fine with it and keeps the different history veins straight.

The only thing that I'm having concerns with is that I feel like he should be doing something more than just narrating a la CM style as he approaches the end of Middle School.

I've heard Redesign is better for Dialectic and Rhetoric than the Classic version was, but how much more better is it? Is it worth the price difference?

Also, which year should we start with if we do start since we are all over the place now. My son is bored to tears when it comes to Ancient Egypt, so how much of Y1 would we have to skip in order to cover other civilizations?

Thanks!

While I have yet to actually put the curriculum into practice I can say that I went back and forth with the same reservations as you until I found their online tutorial with "notes". http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/sample/

I printed off the weekly plan as suggested and went page by page through each week of the tutorial and took, my own notes on the printed out copy. This reallly helped me make sense of how to use the curriculum, but like I said I have yet to actually begin TOG yet so it remains to be seen if it will continue to make sense ;)

As for skipping through Ancient Egypt here is the link to the break down of Y1 http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/year1/#2 looks like maybe only skipping the first unit would suffice?

Again I hope I am not speaking out of turn, seriously just my thoughts since i've been fine toothing this curriculum for the past month before taking the plunge!

HOH :)

I have used SL with my kids and despite the fact that most people say it's too much reading, I didn't find it to be too much.

I looked at TOG SOOOO many times and even printed the samples several different times. When I looked at the samples I did not like it at all, honestly. BUT...something kept telling me to look at it again.

I kept doing that and finally just bought a unit. I am SOO glad i did even though i am only using it with 5 of my 7 kids, ages 10 and under.

I really like the hands on activities, the fact that it does NOT schedule every thing to do each day. I LOVE the Biblical content.

I plan on using it again when my current children are older which I also LOVE because that means no more switching around.

I also like that i don't HAVE to use the books that are listed but we can still learn what is required, if that makes sense. lol

Mybe you tried to do too many things?

I am not doing the worksheets for the specific books, or a lot of writing, and i am picking and choosing which activities to do.

I would say go for it!!!!:001_smile:

Classic is very different from the re-design. We did one year of classic, with much difficulty, and then switched to re-design. Like night and day!!! You still have to control yourself and not try to do everything, but it is so much easier to use. The D level outline and the updated lit are really amazing.