Menu

How do you figure physEd?

RahRah

DS is a pretty active kid and does a lot of various physical activity throughout the week - swimming, bike riding, soccer, etc.

I'm wondering what I might/should count toward PhysEd and what is simply normal playtime that doesn't count?

Our state doesn't have a PhysEd requirement, but allows hours of physical education to be included in the total hours required each year. So what would you count?

In my DD's private school, she got 1 hour of recess a day, broken into segments, and 2 1/2 hour PE classes, all of which was considered instructional time, so I figure I'm safe counting at least an hour a day of playing outside, bike riding, and so on as instructional time towards the 4 hours/180 days, plus her dance classes, swim lessons, and so on (usually 1-2 activities at a time) as the formal PE class.

Our YMCA has a Homeschool PE class. It is 3 times a week/2 hours per day (and they throw in science and art), and only $20/month. We are in a big city, so finding a YMCA that does a PE class for homeschoolers in a small town may be difficult. If enough recommend it, they may do it.

Many homeschool groups have park days that last 2 hours, so I am sure many people count that, in addition to the outside activities your child may be in (sports, scouts, etc).

Good luck.

Vicki

We count all 'scheduled' physical activity. This includes marshal arts class, gymnastics class, park play dates, soccer practice/games, and whatever other sports dd is in at the time. Everything else is just play time.

:iagree: