Menu

Reviews of Great Science Adventures

I plan to use astronomy and human body next year. I wanted to keep science light but relevant. I think that these can be done quickly and they lend themselves well to memory work.

My older boys used astronomy years ago.

So, I'll give you a bump and also ask if you had any specific questions.

Mandy

I loved the idea that is behind Great Science Adventures but for me it was just too much prep work for all thd kids to get something out of it. I love the mini books in the back but I could never get them to line up when I printed out copies. The cutting and pasting was something my boys never liked and the girls just liked it but left a huge mess to clean up. I still have all the books but have adjusted them to our style which is more computer based. We are very computer friendly in my house so most of their assignements these days end up being done somehow on the computer. Overall I do love all the info. they share but to do it as the book describes just wasn't for us. I hope you find what you are looking for.:001_smile:

I really like GSA. My kids do like the labbook learning style. Sometimes I did supplement with library books. There is a lot of cutting and pasting but the books are so fun to look at latter on and see all they have learned. All you really need to know is in the book. There are assignments you can give to challenge your older children as well. I have also used Apologia's elementary science books paired with Knowledge Box Centrals lapbooks and really love them as well. Renae

I've only used Plants and haven't used the whole thing but my DD age 8- loves this type of thing. My 11 yo son even liked most of it. The information was good and we like the little books.

I have 2 others I got at a used book fair that we'll be using in the future-the Human Body and the earth one.

Two of the ones I got already had the binding cut and was in a 3 ring binder-this is the only way to go IMO.

• 10 months later...

I know lots of people who gripe about the prep work--- and it is a little tedious, especially since it can be very repeatitive.

However, I think the information is good and I like the order at which subjects are taught. We have the ten books availalbe from Common Sense Press. I am looking forward to the other books.

To save some time, prep etc. We break the binding and put the lessons in sheet protectors and place each book in a one inch binder. I can add additional information isheet protectors to each lesson as I see fit (sometimes the ideas brew for a particular topic).

Then I laminate and cut each book, stapled and keep them in wipes containers for each topic. We read them for the lessons, use them for review, etc. But the kids do not color them.

Since my kids are younger and we are likely to do everything again in more depth we have saves the lapsheets and lapbooking for later, but we will be doing it once as a group- not photocopying and doing it individually. This to me is a waste of time and paper when there are so many other ways to explore these topics.

We've done several and have enjoyed them all.

I usually cut the binding off the book and take the reproducibles to a copy shop to ensure the booklet pages are done correctly.

We don't use any fancy art supplies - paper, glue, tape and colored pencils.

We've done Earth, Astronomy, Human Body, Atoms and Molecules and will be doing Tools and Technology over the summer. My 13 year-old is on the upper-end of grades the studies are written to, so this will probably be the last one we do from this series.

I love them! Yes, it's a bit of pre-work, but they are really good unit studies.

One thing I've learned is that if you fall behind, don't be tempted to rush through building the graphic organizer pages and skimming the lesson. It's easy (for me) to make it more about completing the "project" on schedule than to slow down and ensure they are retaining the information.

I loved the idea that is behind Great Science Adventures but for me it was just too much prep work for all thd kids to get something out of it. I love the mini books in the back but I could never get them to line up when I printed out copies. The cutting and pasting was something my boys never liked and the girls just liked it but left a huge mess to clean up ...Overall I do love all the info. they share but to do it as the book describes just wasn't for us. I hope you find what you are looking for.:001_smile:

:iagree:

I used the Astronomy one years ago & it took me hours to photocopy (and I am a proficient copy machine user) & then they didn't line up property. I was so frustrated. I also did NOT understand the instructions for the other kinds of "books" & folds. It was too time consuming and frustrating. The time spent did not correlate to the educational benefits. I did like the content though. I especially liked the acronym for remembering the planets and my son liked it too!