Menu

Singapore...help!

Okay, well here goes. We will begin our FIRST adventure of homeschooling in the fall and I was hoping someone had some tips about using singapore...or at least words of encouragement. I have Primary math 2a/2b. My DD is grade level with math, but a quick learner and a lot of 2a will be review for her. I got it anyway because of the PS using spiral curriculum last year (kinda through her off her game). I want her to "master" her math abilities, but I don't want to bore her with busy work.

My question is: should I use the IP with 2a and/or 2b? Should we do all of the activities? Does she need to do ALL of the mental math or is that just a suggestion?

We're using the textbook, the IP, and CWP but not the workbook. Some of the mental math exercises in the HIG I do, but others I skip.

Did you have her take the placement test? With a bright kid, you can't just assume that a particular level is the appropriate one a priori.

I'm on my second go arund with Singapore about to start it for a third time too. I use the textbook/workbook. They read the chapter, do the exercises in the textbook orally with me, then do an exercise in the workbook, 2 pgs intensive practice, and 2 pgs in the challenging word problems book.

I start the intensive and challenging problems when they have completed the first half of the primary textbook/workbook. So one might be in 5a primary, 4b intensive and CPW 4 at all one time. I just found this helps with reviews and the IP and CW are challenging to say the least and make them think way out of the box.

And don't assume it will be review for her. A lot of the early years in Singapore is learning the Singapore madness as it is called. The process of how they arrive to the answer is sometimes more important than the answer. They teach math based on the whys and explain why the "tricks" I learned as "math" work. I never knew my math education was more on line with training a dog to do flips and not one of understanding math.

And don't assume it will be review for her. A lot of the early years in Singapore is learning the Singapore madness as it is called. The process of how they arrive to the answer is sometimes more important than the answer. They teach math based on the whys and explain why the "tricks" I learned as "math" work. I never knew my math education was more on line with training a dog to do flips and not one of understanding math.

:iagree:

Crimson- yes she tested about 2b and 3a

servin- I agree! I know that Singapore has a different approach than what she is use to; this is why I also decided to start 2a instead of 2b or 3a(where she tested). So that she can practice getting to know the format and the techniques of Singapore. I DO like your math routine. I think I will do that and instead of CW, I'll try the mental math and see how that goes.

thanks guys! :)

Something to beware of with Singapore - they have the children practise new things using low, easy numbers so the children can see what is going on. This means that your child can run down a page of what is supposed to be new material just sort of "knowing" the answer. For Americans who are used to getting the answer being the whole point, this can be a bad trap because it appears that your child can do the material but then suddenly, when the child is asked to do it with harder numbers later on, or use the material to do somehting else (common in Singapore math), they can't because they weren't really doing IT in the first place. Make sure your child does the problems the way the bubble children do, not the old, easier way. The problem is exacerbated by all the mental math that is taught. It means that the child can get the answer fast, in their head, and you don't get to see how they did it. I think in some cases, when people complain that Singapore didn't work for them, it is because they fell into this trap.

We love Singapore here. Just make sure your child knows the point of the lesson isn't to get the answers but to learn something new to do with numbers, and that when necessary, they show their work.

We have done Singapore up until pre-calc with two very different children now, one mathy and one non-mathy. In Primary Math, we did the lesson book together orally, and then the children did the workbook on their own, in writing. As they got towards the end, I insisted that they show their work (a huge struggle) occasionally. In New Elementary Math, I insisted they show their work all the time. I read the lesson aloud, working out the example problems on scrap paper, and then they did the excersizes alone. They marked their own answers right or wrong and we worked together on the ones they couldn't get (important). It is important to do the classwork parts of NEM. That is where they go through all the ways that a child could misunderstand a concept and all the finer points.

-Nan

Something to beware of with Singapore - they have the children practise new things using low, easy numbers so the children can see what is going on.

We love Singapore here. Just make sure your child knows the point of the lesson isn't to get the answers but to learn something new to do with numbers, and that when necessary, they show their work.

-Nan

Nan is correct, but I've edited to save space. I've used this with 2 of my dc and each of them learns differently. My younger one raced through 2A-3B and understood most of it, but there were a couple of areas I found out in SM 4 she didn't understand as well as it appeared since she likes to do her math in her head, which is something I had to spend years overcoming with her.