Menu

Starting piano late. Oldest son struggling- advice?

My oldest is 14 yo. I know we missed the ideal window to begin piano, but I really want some music theory on board. We have only been at it for one month. His younger siblings are picking it up quicker and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this.

It isn't a matter of competition between the siblings, he can deal with that, I'm just wondering how long it takes a later beginner to bloom, if ever.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Jo

Former piano teacher here:

What books have been assigned to your son? Some children respond to different methodologies? Ask the teacher, is she teaching by rote, landmark note approach, intervalic approach, or middle c approach? Teachers who teach by landmark note approach and intervalically thereafterm can be hard to find but for some children, their minds naturally do better with this method. Is your teacher using the Suzuki method? If you could answer some of these questions, I might be able to be of more assistance to you. Additionally, how is his reading fluency for his age in school work and does he have any eye issues such as an "eye turn/lazy eye", tracking problems, light sensitivity, etc. If he has dyslexia, he may need a transparent but colored sheet to go over the music. Blocking one or more aspects of the light spectrum have significantly helped my dyslexic students. (I used to do music therapy in my home for children with a variety of physical and emotional problems as well as a myriad of learning disabilities.)

Is he bored? Some older beginners struggle because the music is too "childish" for them. He might do better with an Alfred or Piano Adventures adult series if taken slowly. He might also need some fine motor/memory sensory exercises in order to better access long term memory retrieval which is so necessary for fluent note reading.

Does he like music? Was he interested in the piano to begin with? If not, would you consider a pure music theory program, a church choir that emphasizes music literacy ( I used to direct such a choir and maybe there is one in your area), handbells, or another instrument. Trumpet comes to mind as many boys like the "sound" of brass instruments and something with only three valves but a lot of "lip" is appealing. I kid you not....many a boy who is a ham with sound effects (you know, the kid that can make the exact sound of a Ford mustang revving its engine) has done well with a brass instrument. If he has long arms, trombone would be another excellent choice. Some children do better reading single clef music but then once confidence builds, will begin blossoming at the piano.

Faith

Former piano teacher here:

What books have been assigned to your son? Some children respond to different methodologies? Ask the teacher, is she teaching by rote, landmark note approach, intervalic approach, or middle c approach? Teachers who teach by landmark note approach and intervalically thereafterm can be hard to find but for some children, their minds naturally do better with this method. Is your teacher using the Suzuki method? If you could answer some of these questions, I might be able to be of more assistance to you. Additionally, how is his reading fluency for his age in school work and does he have any eye issues such as an "eye turn/lazy eye", tracking problems, light sensitivity, etc. If he has dyslexia, he may need a transparent but colored sheet to go over the music. Blocking one or more aspects of the light spectrum have significantly helped my dyslexic students. (I used to do music therapy in my home for children with a variety of physical and emotional problems as well as a myriad of learning disabilities.)

Is he bored? Some older beginners struggle because the music is too "childish" for them. He might do better with an Alfred or Piano Adventures adult series if taken slowly. He might also need some fine motor/memory sensory exercises in order to better access long term memory retrieval which is so necessary for fluent note reading.

Does he like music? Was he interested in the piano to begin with? If not, would you consider a pure music theory program, a church choir that emphasizes music literacy ( I used to direct such a choir and maybe there is one in your area), handbells, or another instrument. Trumpet comes to mind as many boys like the "sound" of brass instruments and something with only three valves but a lot of "lip" is appealing. I kid you not....many a boy who is a ham with sound effects (you know, the kid that can make the exact sound of a Ford mustang revving its engine) has done well with a brass instrument. If he has long arms, trombone would be another excellent choice. Some children do better reading single clef music but then once confidence builds, will begin blossoming at the piano.

Faith

These are great questions. My teacher is wonderful. She already has him with the Alfred books for older starters. He is an excellent reader, but the teacher has to cover his hands with a workbook to keep him from looking at his hands. He loves music, and he is anxious to get "good enough" to play some of his favorite stuff. I honestly think he's just having a hard time getting the swing of things. Like learning Greek. Especially since we do music in our house using the CD player or ipod. :blush: I have no, none, zip musical talent. I try to encourage but I don't even know what I should be hearing. :blushing:

He isn't a car guy, but he did want to start with the drums. :001_huh: I don't think so.

Jo

He isn't a car guy, but he did want to start with the drums. :001_huh: I don't think so.

Jo

Actually he may be onto something there. My middle son started on drums and because percussionists also have to learn bells, xylophone, etc, it naturally has carried over to piano. Lately he's been putzing around arranging and composing using piano, his bells, and Noteflite: http://www.noteflight.com/login

My oldest started on euphonium in pb, then picked up bass guitar as a second instrument. He's learned more music theory from his bass guitar teacher in one year than all of his years of band and private study on baritone combined.

Neither has had a single piano lesson.

One month in isn't very far to guage, but I will say that when it comes to theory and a teenage boy, a lot of roads lead to Rome, and the instrument that he wants to play the most just might be the best pathway. Oh, and fyi: as far as the drums go it isn't even the worst noise at my house. Between the drum set, bass guitar, 2 electric guitars, bells, flute, bongo drums, djembe drums, piano, and euphonium, it's the electric guitar that grates on me the worst. :w00t:

If he is looking down a lot, he is not comfortable with the topography of the piano. He doesn't have the feel of where his fingers should be and how far to move them for each interval. Normally, with a child in my studio who was troubled by this (speaking about my children without physical disabilities - that's just a completely different problem), I would begin teaching scales and technic exercises by rote - even the simpler Hanon exercises. Once he understood the pattern, I would make him play with his eyes closed.

But, one month in to it isn't long enough to get much worried other than if he younger sibs are really taking off and he is having some esteem issues about it.

You might want to ask the teacher about some rote exercises and technique/scales. If he's creative with his music, let him have as much "composing" time as he would like. The more he plays around on the keyboard the better.

My last bit of advice is that he may need to be switched to something with a more "intervalic" approach to teaching than Alfred.

Faith

My 13 year old just began lessons a few months ago. She's making progress, but still struggles with watching her hands. Her teacher said that it's never too late, but it just takes more effort and time when you are older. And lots of practice to develop the muscle memory.

Her younger sister is about to begin lessons, and I'm afraid that she'll pass up the older one. But not much we can do about it...lol.