Menu

Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algerbra or CLE light units for 8th grade math?

My son has used Teaching Textbooks for math for the last three years. Next year he would be in Pre-Algerbra. I have liked it so far except for the cost and the fact that a couple of disks have gotten scratched and had to be replaced (not his fault...little sisters). I have used Christian Light Publications for Language Arts in the past and was considering it for math next year. Has anyone had any experience with either? What did you like or dislike? Thank you for any help.

From what I've read on the boards, CLE Math 7 is sufficient preparation algebra, so you probably wouldn't have to do 8 but would really need CLE 7. We're not up that far in CLE yet, but I wouldn't assume that it would be an easy switch from TT7 to CLE 7, or 8, without having your dc do the placement test or at least taking a good look at it. Having switched into CLE, it's very thorough and covers a lot of topics that might be new to someone coming through another program.

I sound like I'm spoiling your plans and don't mean to, REALLY, but CLE's new algebra isn't out yet. You might want to think about what program you want to use for algebra and then use their pre-algebra if they have one. There could be quite a learning curve for CLE, and I wonder if it would be worth it for just one year. :001_smile:

My son has used Teaching Textbooks for math for the last three years. Next year he would be in Pre-Algebra. I have liked it so far except for the cost and the fact that a couple of disks have gotten scratched and had to be replaced (not his fault...little sisters). I have used Christian Light Publications for Language Arts in the past and was considering it for math next year. Has anyone had any experience with either? What did you like or dislike? Thank you for any help.

CLE math has worked VERY well for us. It has turned my math-phobic child into a math lover, and it's probably the one curriculum I recommend most. I like that it is "gentle", includes plenty of review, and has wonderful (useful) word problems. The only thing I don't like is that the upper level math won't be completely revised for several years, and the upper level math that is available now is simply Lifepacs math in black and white.

BUT

CLE is different than TT, and if TT is working, I wouldn't switch. The CLE math that everyone raves about is the Sunrise Edition and it is only finished at this point through 8th grade (they plan to release Algebra 1 in 2012, but the rest of the upper level math will be several years down the road.).

I agree with the pp that recommended looking at what you plan to use for upper level math and choosing your pre-algebra accordingly.

Guest aquiverfull

We use CLE Math and like it ok. It is not what I plan to use for my younger girls but its a great fit with my older child. It is a spiral program so jumping in might be hard to do and if TT is working I'd think about staying with it. We were using Horizons Math when we switched to CLE last year. It took a while for my dd to do well on the tests in CLE because a lot of it was new, and Horizons is supposed to be advanced and similar to CLE. Still there were things we hadn't covered in Horizons that were in CLE 5 simply because of the spiral method they use. Many topics are covered at once and then drilled for days after, but everyday they still introduce a new topic or a new way to do something. I'm not sure if TT is mastery or spiral but your child's learning style is something to consider.

Definitely have your child take the placement tests and look at the CLE samples and the topics covered in each unit as that will help with placing.

Well it's not that my son doesn't enjoy Teaching Textbooks, he really does like it. In fact I have three children using it (we have used it for 4th-7th grade) and they all do very well with it and have all had great testing scores in math. The reason I was thinking about switching is that my son is very mechanically minded, he loves working with his dad fixing machinery and building things. It seemed like CLP math focused more on the real life aspects of using mathmatics. While TT has great word problems, very humorous in fact...that is why the kids love it. But my son is getting older and I want him to be able to apply mathmatics to real life in work and life skills. So that is one reason why I was thinking about switching. Also that TT is quite a bit more expensive, but then again I can use it with all the younger children when they get older. They also have excellent customer service. I am not liking the fact that CLP only has updated through Pre-Algerbra. I had not noticed that before. So I'm still thinking. Thank you for all your views.

Well it's not that my son doesn't enjoy Teaching Textbooks, he really does like it. In fact I have three children using it (we have used it for 4th-7th grade) and they all do very well with it and have all had great testing scores in math. The reason I was thinking about switching is that my son is very mechanically minded, he loves working with his dad fixing machinery and building things. It seemed like CLP math focused more on the real life aspects of using mathmatics. While TT has great word problems, very humorous in fact...that is why the kids love it. But my son is getting older and I want him to be able to apply mathmatics to real life in work and life skills. So that is one reason why I was thinking about switching. Also that TT is quite a bit more expensive, but then again I can use it with all the younger children when they get older. They also have excellent customer service. I am not liking the fact that CLP only has updated through Pre-Algerbra. I had not noticed that before. So I'm still thinking. Thank you for all your views.

DD13 completed CLE Math 8 this year and LOVED it! She's about 1/3 of the way through TT Algebra 1 and it's going great too. TT problem sets are spiral (the lectures are "mastery" in that they stay on one topic until it's fully covered, but the problem sets are spiral). Since CLE is also spiral and he is doing well with TT, then he'll probably do well with either one. I would stick with what's working, but if it's a financial consideration, I can't speak highly enough about CLE Math.

When DD13 finished CLE Math 8, she wanted it to keep going. She felt like you do when you finish a good book and wish there was a sequel. She said CLE Math 8 had a continuing theme about a family and the math they used to run their household and farm. She really enjoyed the "living math" aspects of the curriculum. And I was happy with the rigor - I'm very confident in her math foundation after using CLE. We used Saxon Algebra 1/2 the previous year and she didn't retain anything!