Menu

I keep finding myself with this overwhelming pull towards SL

Aoife

for next year. I keep going to look at the 1+2 core package to use next year. We've got 5 kids so our time is limited especially with 3 out of the five kids being little ones so I have to say the open box idea is very very appealing. I like that math isn't included as well as LA because those are the two programs that I am like 100% on and own all the books for.

Is it easy to use sonlight in a secular way? I mean I would just have to leave out the bible right? Of all the open box curricula I have seen it is the most complete without being over the top religious IMHO

DS right now is at the point of knowing all of his letter sounds and can read some CVC words and sound out some even bigger words just the full light of it building a word hasn't fully come on for the words bigger then CVC. He reads bob books and some beginning I can read it books. Would 1+2 be ok for him for 1st grade? He'll be starting it at a pretty young age so I like that I could stretch it out more and take it slower.

This sonlight thing is all so new to me but i really do like the full all I need right there sort of things to make some of life at least a bit less hectic LOL

I'd love to hear what you all think of the program especially from a secular point of view. Thanks!

I have P 3/4, P 4/5 and K. I am looking at Core 1 now. There are a couple of books I will skip, From Akebu to Zapotec, George Muller, Missionary Stories with the Millers, and the bible. I adore Sonlight !!

I know that in Readers 2 reg that the bible is used for a reader for a long time, so I will skip it and get Intermediate. But those aren't really in line with your sons reading level. I would stick with Readers 1.

If he is ready for chapter books with few pictures, I think it will be ok. It sure why you want to get Core 1+2. I know I want to spend a whole year on Ancients and Medieval, don't want to miss a thing !!

Most say that you should be a year behind..... P 4/5 for K, Core K for 1st, I don't necessarily agree for all children. But I don't think I would do 1+2 for 1st..... unless it is just a money issue ! Then I would be sure and stretch it out 2 years.

We are secular homeschoolers, I have used Sonlight for years, but not these cores in many years.

Well, other than the Bible readings, there are also some missionary stories. And, if you go with Core 1+2, there is the Windows on the World book that has an evangelistic theme to it.

I would suggest that you go with Core 1 though, rather than the combined Core, since your child will be a first grader.

Core 1 has a couple of missionary stories, but I can't think of anything else that you would want to cut out to use it secularly (other than the Bible readings). The read-alouds are wonderful!!

Yes, it's easy to use secularly. You leave out the bible, and then likely drop 10-15% of the other books. The ones to consider dropping become obvious as you look at them . . . like the ones with missionary or God in the title or description.

I love SL, btw.

There is a huge yahoo group called secular SL or something like that!

You need to join the email loop SonlightSecular. It's a great loop. The people there will help you with anything you have questions about.

I used SL from K through 100. I like Core 100, but as a 7th or 8th grade Core, not as a high school Core. I used Core 300 this year with my oldest and didn't like it.

I have adapted to make the Cores secular from the beginning.

I'm doing it and am so excited! I am starting him out in P4/5 and then moving into K in a year when he is closer to 5. I am just going to get the IGs for P4/5 and K and then get some of the more noteworthy books from amazon but use the library for the bulk of it. Then I'll fork out the cash for core 1 and buy the whole core from then on out. I am really really excited to get going on this as it seems a wonderful program that my DS's will all love as they each get old enough to begin the journey :) thanks so much for your help ladies I could not have figured this whole thing out without you all!