Menu

What is the current recommendation for disposing of narcotics?

Call a pharmacy. They will tell you what is the best way to deal with that. They may even have some system for doing that for you as well.

Welllll. Not to bash our wonderful military pharmacy, but I did call them and they suggested flushing. :001_huh: Of course, he sounded like he was about 18 and not exactly "in the know." But it is Saturday.

I think we will dissolve in the bottle and then trash them.

Jo

There is a big problem, apparently, with people flushing all kinds of medicines down the toilet, then the meds get into the water supply. If you think about contraceptives, anti-depressants, etc., that's some kind of soup.

If your pharmacist doesn't give you any hints, I heard you can cover the pills in the bottle with white glue. That would make them unusable to anyone else.

I found these guidelines:

The new Federal prescription drug disposal guidelines urge Americans to:

Take unused, unneeded, or expired prescription drugs out of their original containers

Mix the prescription drugs with an undesirable substance, like used coffee grounds or kitty litter, and put them in impermeable, non-descript containers, such as empty cans or sealable bags, further ensuring that the drugs are not diverted or accidentally ingested by children or pets

Throw these containers in the trash

Flush prescription drugs down the toilet only if the accompanying patient information specifically instructs it is safe to do so

Return unused, unneeded, or expired prescription drugs to pharmaceutical take-back locations that allow the public to bring unused drugs to a central location for safe disposal