Menu

mom flunks algebra

I am embarrassed and flat out distressed about this. It wasn't recently however, but it does still hang over my head.

I now am trying to teach my ds pre-algebra and despite my short comings is managing a C average. I know it would be best for my next upcoming 3 mathmaticians, I should take a class or two myself. I'm anxious about it though. I already worry about not doing enough for my kids and now this!!

Support and understanding is needed.

You can do it. You are older, wiser, more experienced, and motivated to learn this time around. This coming from someone who flunked college algebra three times in college. I would suggest working through something like Lial's Basic College Mathematics first, then tackling algebra. Many kids are not mature either for the abstraction that algebra demands. This could have been the issue as well. I'm working my way through Math Mammoth (started at 3A), as my ds is only 6.

Good luck!

I teach math at the cc. I generally teach developmental students - math that starts at prealgebra and up. The students who want to learn generally do wonderfully. (The problem students are those straight from high schools who think they know the material because they've seen it before.)

You can work ahead of your kids in the books - video lectures can be helpful. The website purplemath has some good explanations on how to do some algebra.

You can do this! Keep practicing, get help when something isn't clear, and know that failure in the past doesn't predict what you're capable of now. You're not the same person you were then & you've got more motivation now! Good luck!

I teach math at the cc. I generally teach developmental students - math that starts at prealgebra and up. The students who want to learn generally do wonderfully. (The problem students are those straight from high schools who think they know the material because they've seen it before.)

You can work ahead of your kids in the books - video lectures can be helpful. The website purplemath has some good explanations on how to do some algebra.

You can do this! Keep practicing, get help when something isn't clear, and know that failure in the past doesn't predict what you're capable of now. You're not the same person you were then & you've got more motivation now! Good luck!

Purplemath is a good resource! Also, working on the lessons by yourself -- ahead of the student -- is one good tactic. We use TT and have used the Pre-Algebra, Algebra I and Geometry books and DVD lectures. Pre-Algebra with TT was very easy. I made a math study guide as a result for son and I to refer to. Algebra I with TT had some slow pacing and holes -- but overall a good fit with son who was not crazy about math. ;) I was able to keep up with the lectures and assigned myself problems... so I was learning along with him! I found I was able to pinpoint his weaknesses and teach to that. TT Geometry is a basic high school program that met the requirements for SAT needs. I agree that you need to be working alongside your child in upper level math in high school (unless you are a mathematician) -- it would be erroneous to leave the DVD set and book all on the child's shoulders and do nothing.

Whatever you do -- I recommend NOT rushing them thru the book quickly if they do not get the concept or produce low grades. Take a break. Review the chapter again if needed. Use resources like ALEKS or Keys to Algebra series. You may need to teach year-round due to this factor? It is vital they get a thorough understanding of basic Algebra. Practice is important. You can do this!!

Edited by tex-mex

I semi flunked algebra. The whole class was flunking, due to lack of teahing . So the parents complained and the class was given a passing grade. So, on my report card I passed, but in reality I had no idea what algebra was. I opted to have my husband teach my son (my son is gifted in math) but I am now teaching it to myself. You can do it! And it will make an impression on your kids that you are still learning now.

Ladies, you are the best for picking someone out of the depths of mathmatical despair!! I just ordered the college math book suggested, I plan on working ahead in my sons math book, checking out the websites for more guidance AND yes I will be your friend PollyOR!!

Thanks for all your understanding and support. Take care and if there's something ya need hollar!!

You can do it. You are older, wiser, more experienced, and motivated to learn this time around.

Good luck!

ain't it the truth, sista!!

no doubt!!

I flunked Geometry. Can we be friends? :)

I find the Key to Algebra books to be helpful.

You can do it! And it will make an impression on your kids that you are still learning now.

that certainly is true!

If I were in that situation, I think I'd buy a copy of Teaching Textbooks Algebra for next year and do it along with my child. It's great for people who don't like or are confused by math, as every problem can be looked up for a step-by-step, visual and audio, explanation. This year, I had one dc doing Life of Fred (great for the math lover who wants extra topics and challenges in his math) and one dc who quit LOF, and tried and hated VideoText, but turned out to really like, and do well with, Teaching Textbooks. They're not what I'd suggest for a future math major, but for someone who isn't math oriented, Teaching Textbooks are good.

I feel ya! I had to retake every college math class that I ever took, and barely passed Algebra I in high school (I passed by 1 point, and I'm pretty sure the teacher "gave" it to me)....

Next year Eldest will most likely be taking Algebra I. So, I'm going to work ahead in his book and have dh tutor us both.....

I had a teacher who hated me and I hated him so everyday I would walk in and he would say, "Bye!" I hung out in auto shop rather than learning Algebra and guess what! I got a passing grade. :glare:

I am currently working through the LoF books for myself. I want to conquer this math beast! Dd knows I'm doing it for her as well and I can see the admiration and respect in her eyes. She's heard all of my math woes and cheers me on as I move further ahead! It's been a great experience to share with her.

All that to say, YOU CAN DO IT!!! :D

Carli, thanks for that. I guess what I am afraid of is that my ds will see that I'm teaching myself the same subject I'm supposed to be teaching him!! I do need to do this and fast because I have another ds that I will surely be teaching algebra after the pre-algebra, ugh!!

I had a teacher who hated me and I hated him so everyday I would walk in and he would say, "Bye!" I hung out in auto shop rather than learning Algebra and guess what! I got a passing grade. :glare:

I am currently working through the LoF books for myself. I want to conquer this math beast! Dd knows I'm doing it for her as well and I can see the admiration and respect in her eyes. She's heard all of my math woes and cheers me on as I move further ahead! It's been a great experience to share with her.

All that to say, YOU CAN DO IT!!! :D

I'll be in the same boat as you soon. So I better get my ducks in row!! Good luck to you mama!

I feel ya! I had to retake every college math class that I ever took, and barely passed Algebra I in high school (I passed by 1 point, and I'm pretty sure the teacher "gave" it to me)....

Next year Eldest will most likely be taking Algebra I. So, I'm going to work ahead in his book and have dh tutor us both.....