Menu

Headsprout Reading?

wimama

We use it. It has been VERY effective for both of my kids, although with my second I'm slowing down and doing a good bit of off line practice with the sounds taught. I didn't find Anna was at a mid-2nd grade level when we finished, but she WAS reading pretty comfortably. We went back and practiced/ reviewed decoding single words while continuing to read connected text. A year later she is comfortably comprehending at a 4th-5th grade level and decoding MUCH higher.

It isn't always fun; it does get frustrating at times, as does anything when you are learning a new skill. It is definitely work, but it makes the million and one repetitions that you have to do at this level much more palatable, and it takes some of the pressure off the relationship. You're more of a cheerleader at this level.

Just don't expect to sit them down and walk off. Mine needed me right there to encourage them, and then when they completed the program, they still needed more phonics instruction.

My DD used it when she was 5 1/2-6 y/o. I agree w/ the PP, she was not at a second grade level when we finished. I think it was really good for her, because she could do it independently, which is important to her, and there was no writing. We had tried Explode the Code and it was a major bomb b/c she was not into written work.

DS, who will be 5 this month is ready to learn to read. I will not be using Headsprout with him. I think Click N Read looks just as good, if not better, and is waaaay cheaper ($40 through the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op). So I'm going to try that with him. It doesn't have the readers though, as far as I can tell, which was one thing I really liked about Headsprout.

So, while Headsprout served us well and I would recommend it, we're trying something different this time around.

I want to find a fun program for him to work with. My DS is 4 and loves reading, but we haven't started any formal reading program with him.

He has some basics of phonics and knows some site words. He has progressed and can read most 3-4 letter words and books like "Are you my mother" But, he learned the phonics and site words from Leap Frog and Meet the Site Word videos and the Starfall website.

I want him to learn to read with phonics and get a good foundation in reading. I learned to read by sight and I have never been a very fast reader and was terrible at spelling in grade school. So, I definately want him to have a good understanding of phonics.

I was looking at Exlore the Code, but he isn't really writing yet. So, maybe we should hold off on that. I have also heard good things about the book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 lessons". But, I think a online more interactive program might hold his interest the best. I will have to check out Click N Read site.

This is my first real stab at homeschooling. I don't want him to develop any bad habits, so I want to start a more formal program and I want the learning to be fun.

I know that Explode the Code now has an online program. I haven't used it myself, but I have seen rave reviews of it on my dyslexia loops. It costs $55 for a one-year subscription.

http://www.explodethecode.com/

I used Headsprout with my dyslexic dd and it was well worth the cost. She wasn't reading at a 2nd grade level when she finished, but it was the first program that she made progress with.

We use it. It has been VERY effective for both of my kids, although with my second I'm slowing down and doing a good bit of off line practice with the sounds taught. I didn't find Anna was at a mid-2nd grade level when we finished, but she WAS reading pretty comfortably. We went back and practiced/ reviewed decoding single words while continuing to read connected text. A year later she is comfortably comprehending at a 4th-5th grade level and decoding MUCH higher.

It isn't always fun; it does get frustrating at times, as does anything when you are learning a new skill. It is definitely work, but it makes the million and one repetitions that you have to do at this level much more palatable, and it takes some of the pressure off the relationship. You're more of a cheerleader at this level.

:iagree:

This program isn't ment for you to sit them down and walk away. At least if you want it to be effective.

My daughter finished the program, not exactly reading at a 2nd grade level. The last few lessons worked pretty fast and I wish I would have spent more time on it. But she was reading very comfortably and has made teaching her reading much easier.

She did enjoy the program and I think its an excellent program. Totally worth the money.

The one thing I'm not sure of at the moment is the 2nd program they have that is supposed to be a continuation. My daughter isn't liking it so much and actually its to advanced. I would definitely say that it does NOT leave off from the 1st Headsprout program.

One of my son's was in lesson 20, doing everything Headsprout asked, and "reading" the words/books well when I realized he couldn't sound out a single word he hadn't seen in Headsprout.

If the child comes in reading CVC words maybe it works better and it worked ok for my son who was doing that when he entered the program. It's very repetitive and if a child leans toward sight reading for some reason the program will allow that or at least did for my son. I also dislike how quickly sight words are introduced and they are using words that can be decoded phonetically as sight words.

So...I've taught him to read (both kids really) with other programs. I do a lot of extra outside of Headsprout and I feel that's responsible for the bulk of the progress for both kids. So while my boys have enjoyed the program I wish I hadn't spent the money. I would chose differently if I could.

I do think it's so repetitive initially (in the first 40 lessons anyway) in a palatable way that it helps fluency. But I don't feel it's pure phonics nor entirely comprehensive phonics either one.

Edited by sbgrace

The one thing I'm not sure of at the moment is the 2nd program they have that is supposed to be a continuation. My daughter isn't liking it so much and actually its to advanced. I would definitely say that it does NOT leave off from the 1st Headsprout program.

What can you tell me about the second program? I was planning on having Anna do the second program this summer.

I am still looking at Headsprout, but we let my DS play around on the sample lessons on Explode the Code and he seemed to enjoy that website. And, it is much more reasonably priced. I think I will let him do the trial lessons on Headsprout as well. If Headsprout heads to site words quickly, I think I am leaning toward the Explode the Code. He already seems to be picking new words up by site. I do want him to have a good understanding of phonics.

Headsprout does not really do sight words, except for a couple words like "the." It DOES teach sounding out, and it teaches the idea of sounding out very well. It also has a parents/ teacher's guide that has extra books to read, and lists of words that extrapolate the patterns and sounds that they have taught. This is VERY helpful. The issue can be that some kids don't naturally extrapolate the sounds and stuff that Headsprout has taught. Headsprout teaches how to sound out words, but a kid might not realize that they could sound out OTHER words than the ones taught. So that is an area that parents have to be diligent about reinforcing.

One thing I like is that once you buy it, you have it. It's not a "for six months" type of subscription. So we will do a few lessons, and then we practice and elaborate on the skills. I started my youngest, did 10 lessons or so, and realized she wasn't quite ready to go further, or really for formal instruction. So we stopped for about four months and then came back to it. I've found that it really taught the CONCEPT of sounding out, but that more practice is needed. With my younger one, we finished the first 40 lessons and are taking a several month break to really solidify decoding fairly simple words fluently. But the foundation in Headsprout has served her well.

I am still looking at Headsprout, but we let my DS play around on the sample lessons on Explode the Code and he seemed to enjoy that website. And, it is much more reasonably priced. I think I will let him do the trial lessons on Headsprout as well. If Headsprout heads to site words quickly, I think I am leaning toward the Explode the Code. He already seems to be picking new words up by site. I do want him to have a good understanding of phonics.

you can get etc online for 50% right now through homeschoolbuyers coop. https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=896

my ds just started headsprout. he likes it a lot. i am just using it to supplement. we just got our sign up packet yesterday. it came with some books for him to read along with a wall chart and stickers. really cute!

sandy

• 1 month later...
Guest Beebobaby

We did Headsprout and loved it. Here is a coupon I just received in my e-mail from the company. I hope this helps:

Here's a special discount just for our facebook fans! Enter HS2010BTS1 at checkout and you'll receive 25% off Headsprout Early Reading (Episodes 1-80). This code only works for the month of August 2010, so act fast! Happy reading from all of us at Headsprout.

Guest dezigner356

My son just finished with the 80 lessons is now starting the new 50 comprehension lessons. If you would like to receive one of the headsprout bees, you can use this code DEZINRCBEE

I will be commenting about the lessons on my blog at http://www.early-reading.org if you would like more information about the comprehension series.