Menu

For those using AAS

Targhee

This looks like a great product!!

I checked out their sample lesson for level one, and it appeared as if it would take a lot of time to teach the lesson (but I could be way wrong). How long are your typical lessons each day? How much (if any) prep time do you do?

Can anyone compare this with SWR. I'm looking for 5 yo DD (1st grade in fall).

We love AAS! We usually spend about 15-20 minutes a day, 4 days a week on it. I will teach the new skill/rule and then have him write the 10 word spelling list. He hates using the tiles, but I have him work with them during the "teaching" part until I feel he has it down. The next day I will either have him do the "extra" spelling words that are provided or do the dictation phrases. Just depends on if I think he has mastered it or not. So, I guess we will usually complete two "steps"...that's what they are called in the book...a week unless I feel he needs more practice.

As far as preparing...the only preparation I have done is ALL of the cutting before we started. There is A LOT!!! I am going to be using this program with my younger son so I also had the cards all laminated so I had to cut them all out again! Ugh! But, once that was done, that is pretty much it. I just look over the step before I teach it. Oh, and I did place magnets on the back of the letter tiles.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and we didn't buy the phonogram cd and have done just fine without it.

Never having used SWR, when I was deciding what comprehensive spelling program to use, I chose AAS because it was less complicated than SWR to learn. It is very pick-up-and-go; after you cut out all the letter tiles and cards, that is! I am using level 3 with my 8.5 yo, so we are using it ina remedial sort of way. It doesn't take long to use -- 10-15 minutes a couple times a week. In our situation, my ds is learning the rules of spelling -- the actually spelling words are easy for him.

HTH

Thanks for this question. I was wondering about the time it takes each day. I just bought AAS earlier in the week to do some remedial work with my two oldest. The kids' school they attend uses something called Rebecca Sitton spelling and well, maybe my kids are just unnatural spellers, but that program has not done anything for them at all. I'm hoping AAS will help get them where they need to be spelling-wise.

On day one, I review phonograms and spelling rules, introduce new concepts, introduce new spelling words, and have my dc spell with letter tiles. Ds 8 in in level 2; ds5 is in level 1 this year.

On day two, I have them write new spelling words on the board, or on paper; sometimes they do additional words on day two as well.

On day three, they continue with the list of additional words related to the lesson, or I dictate short phrases to my 5 yo ds and and sentences to my 8 yo ds.

On day 4, I dictate any remaining sentences for ds 8 to write.

Ds 5 is already a "natural speller;" ds 8 needs explicit instruction and repetition. Each lesson takes 10 - 15 minutes.

HTH!

So, lessons take about 15-20 minutes a day, 4 days a week. And it's pretty much no-prep (aside from all the cutting-out people have mentioned). Sounds great!

One reason I am looking at this (as opposed to SWR, or other programs) is that DD isn't strong in fine-motor skills (handwriting, or other--tying, buttons, doesn't like to color, etc.). It seems like less writing, and I am pretty sure she will like using the tiles. We're working on building fine-motor strength and dexterity, but I don't want to wait on learning spelling. This looks like it will be a great fit for us next fall. Thanks for the input!:)