Menu

Tapestry of Grace book recommendations

Kipling

I know a lot of you use Tapestry of Grace with your kids, so I am posting this question here and would appreciate any advice.

I just finished year 1 with my 6 year old and 4 year old. Although we enjoyed the program, some of the book recommendations for Lower Grammar were a little too long, too dry, or too advanced. (Most were very good, and my kids liked them).

If you have done TOG Year Two with young kids, would you please let me know which books your kids really enjoyed and / or which books you would not recommend for the above reasons?

Thanks,

Kristen

We had a similar experience this year. My kids (6 & 4) did not enjoy the Ancient Greece book at all. We ended up really focusing on biblical history after Ancient Egypt.

I will get in depth and lit books from the library so I don't have much info on those but I bought all the core history books for the year and they look great! Very (little) kid friendly - at least at a glance. Hopefully the kiddos agree.

I really enjoy TOG, especially YR 1 b/c of the rich time in the Bible! I personally found that going through Story of the World the first time around (with my LG kids) was more cost efficient for me and was more appropriate to their interest level and ability. I am reluctant to post any book titles as it would be a violation of TOG's request. May I recommend reading about all of them on bookshelfcentral or see if you can peek at them on amazon.

Tracy - I am glad that the books look very kid friendly. I haven't bought any yet, but that is encouraging.

Seekhim4ever - I didn't realize that TOG requests us not to discuss their book lists on other forums. I don't want to do anything that violates their policies, but I was hoping to get an idea as to which books on their list were worth the investment and which ones I should simply check out from the library (or do without).

There are a lot of great picture books for Year 2, beautiful books. We really enjoyed:

Johann Gutenberg and the Amazing Printing Press

Knights

Caedmon's Song

The Squire and the Scroll

Famous Men of the Middle Ages (Memoria Press version)

Elizabeth I

Martin Luther: A Man Who Changed the World

William Shakespeare & the Globe

The Boy Who Held Back the Sea

Midsummer Night's Dream

Saint George and the Dragon

The Children's Shakespeare (I purchased the audio from Open Texture)

The New Americans

Paddle-to-the-Sea

Three Young Pilgrims

Napoleon: The Story of the Little Corporal

Famous Men of Modern Times is not scheduled in TOG, but I think it would be useful as well.

I didn't realize that TOG requests us not to discuss their book lists on other forums. I don't want to do anything that violates their policies, but I was hoping to get an idea as to which books on their list were worth the investment and which ones I should simply check out from the library (or do without).

The TOG books lists are public, anyone can see them on The Bookshelf or Lampstand web sites. I don't think it's a problem.

Why would they not allow you to mention specific titles since anyone can create a login and get the entire resource list from their website? The only thing they don't share until you purchase is the alternate book lists. So I don't understand how talking about books that are made public both in the resource list on their site and on the bookshelfcentral site would be a violation? :confused:

I really enjoy TOG, especially YR 1 b/c of the rich time in the Bible! I personally found that going through Story of the World the first time around (with my LG kids) was more cost efficient for me and was more appropriate to their interest level and ability. I am reluctant to post any book titles as it would be a violation of TOG's request. May I recommend reading about all of them on bookshelfcentral or see if you can peek at them on amazon.

The TOG books lists are public, anyone can see them on The Bookshelf or Lampstand web sites. I don't think it's a problem.

:iagree: My understanding is that you cannot say Wk 1: Read _____ p.18-24, Ch. 13 _______, and ______. That would be a copyright violation.

:iagree: My understanding is that you cannot say Wk 1: Read _____ p.18-24, Ch. 13 _______, and ______. That would be a copyright violation.

That makes sense. That would be publishing their curriculum without their permission. Regarding the book lists, it only seems reasonable that, as homeschooling moms, we can discuss which books we may or may not like for our kids.