Menu

Opinions/feedback on Classical School utilizing Socratic method (Arizona)

If anyone is so inclined, I'd appreciate feedback on the following charter school in Arizona.

http://greatheartsaz.org/

It's a college-prep, classical school with an emphasis on providing a liberal arts education bathed in the humanities and utilizing the socratic method in all of its classroom discussions. The curriculum plan is on the site. We toured one campus a few weeks ago and were amazed. If we decide to send our girls there (6th, 8th, and 9th grades), I'm wondering what sorts of things we might should consider in moving away from homeschooling to afterschooling.

Thanks!

Sabrina in AZ

progress.gif

My son went into a classical school this year, but attended part time the year before that, just for humanties core. I have heard of the school, because someone here in town has relatives that are attending that school and love it (as far as I know).

I did not look at the site, so I'm just thinking aloud here, based on our experience ~

The first year he attended, they were doing Omnibus and the instructor was big on the socractic method, ds really liked it. It made them think through their answers, and not just throw something out.

This year, different teacher, who did not use the socractic method. DS did not enjoy the class as much at all, mostly, because of not allowing the students to work through their thoughts (guided by questions into a certain direction usually), they were just told what they SHOULD think. DS wasn't as engaged in the class, but still learned a lot.

Our humanites core was plenty busy, as well as the other classes, I felt no need to afterschool at all. Did I have a hard time letting go of homeschooling, yes. But, as a parent, I realized (and knew) that you still can ( and should) stay very engaged in your children's education, wherever that is. My way of staying engaged was keeping up with the curriculum, so we could stay in conversation with him about what he was learning. But, seriously, there was no way, at our classical school, with his homework, that I could have added anything to his schedule. I would find movies and books on cd that related to what he was studying, as enrichment (as I've heard it called here).

So, I went from homeschooling, to afterschooling (I thought) and now at the end of the year, have decided I didn't afterschool, but was just an engaged parent with my kids education, and let go of the labeling I was giving myself for it. That said, I AM afterschooling one of my other kids. Long story, but in short, he's definitely not getting enough at school, falling through the cracks, and we really do afterschool him with real lessons, etc. I guess it all depends on what you call afterschooling?

All said, I wouldn't except to be doing any if you attend that school. Just my .02.

• 1 month later...

Did you make a decision?? I looked at the link and was very intrigued...in fact, more than intrigued. Not for my oldest at all but for my dd who will be in 6th next year. I wish I knew some who had kids currently attending! And I wonder about getting in, it looked like registration closed in March but doesn't say there is currently a waiting list. Did it say somewhere that they require the previous year's AIMS scores? That might have been a different school. We've never taken them. Anyway, you've opened a whole new path of possibility for at least one of my children. :) Please share when you make a decision about the school!

• 2 months later...
Did you make a decision?? Did it say somewhere that they require the previous year's AIMS scores? Please share when you make a decision about the school!

Hi 5wolfcubs,

It's taken awhile, but we have finally made a decision! At first we were only considering the school for our 9th grader, but now that we more fully understand how instrumental grades 6-8 are in laying the foundation for the high school years, we have decided to enroll all three of our daughters. Since it's a charter/public school (though it has a private, college-prep feel), they cannot exclude anyone. We didn't have AIMS scores to present either, but that hasn't been an issue in the slightest. They do have a waiting list, but many on it have been offered spots throughout the summer and will continue throughout the year. It's common for people to "hold spots" at multiple schools while they make their decision and don't release those spots back to the school until close to the beginning of the new school year. There will also be many families who drop out and switch schools when they more fully realize the rigor of the curriculum. Anyone not offered a spot will automatically be rolled over to next year's list. I'm not sure where in AZ you are located, but there are currently 5 or 6 campuses throughout the Phoenix Valley (Mesa, Chandler, Tempe, Scottsdale, Glendale) with plans to continue expansion until there are about a dozen sites or so. You can track development plans by visiting http://www.greatheartsaz.org/ .

While we have mixed feelings about coming to the end of our homeschooling journey (9 years), we are hopeful and expectant that this new learning opportunity will open doors of opportunity that we couldn't recreate in our home.

Sabrina in AZ

We applied at the Glendale and Scottsdale locations, but were able to secure spots at Scottsdale first. While GPA is actually closer to where we live, SPA is a block or two from where my husband works as well as our church. It seemed the better choice since they knew of several other kids going to SPA. I'm sure you won't have any trouble getting in at Glendale as there is always a lot of shuffling at maneuvering of students from one school to another at the beginning of the year. Many will drop out once they experience the rigors of the curriculum. Did you tour any of the other schools? We were blown away (and it takes a lot to impress me, having worked in the school system as a speech therapist) by what we witnessed in Chandler.

Sabrina

We applied at the Glendale and Scottsdale locations, but were able to secure spots at Scottsdale first. While GPA is actually closer to where we live, SPA is a block or two from where my husband works as well as our church. It seemed the better choice since they knew of several other kids going to SPA. I'm sure you won't have any trouble getting in at Glendale as there is always a lot of shuffling at maneuvering of students from one school to another at the beginning of the year. Many will drop out once they experience the rigors of the curriculum. Did you tour any of the other schools? We were blown away (and it takes a lot to impress me, having worked in the school system as a speech therapist) by what we witnessed in Chandler.

Sabrina

No, we put her on the waiting list sight unseen. Any of the schools are a pretty long hike for us since we live out in Buckeye, but Glendale was easiest to get to.

I had Jenna all signed up to take a couple of classes at EMCC, but then I ran across the Greathearts website (in fact, I believe it was as a result of this OP) and thought it might be a better alternative. As she said, it's almost like homeschooling, but with other people. The only snag is, she's getting ready to start Latin III and is a couple of years advanced in Math. Being that it's their first year, she'll have to take Latin I and Geometry again. I'm not sure how that will work out, but we'll take it as it comes. The great books aspect will keep her busy and I will expect her to keep up with her Latin outside of class. We only gave Geometry a cursory treatment the first time through, so it won't hurt her to go through it again. But I'll probably be trying to work out some self-study Calculus next year because she's already got a solid honors-level foundation in Algebra II and about half of Trig. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I have a rising 7th grader that will stay home and do K12 with AZVA one more year while we see how school works out for the older one. I wanted to send them together, but she's really motivated to work on her own and I'm happy with K12 at the middle school level. We have a baby coming in September and she's the one who's most excited about helping out. But if I'm as happy with the situation as I think I will be, she will be joining her sister in '09.

Meanwhile, my oldest is going to be away at college, my 4th grader will remain privately homeschooled and enjoy some one on one attention, my 6yo will go attend the neighborhood school for the year, and the 3yo will run around and generally cause trouble. It sounds good on paper, but we'll see how it all runs once the baby comes to muck up the works ;)

How long have you homeschooled? None of my children have ever attended school, save for my oldest in K and 1, so this is uncharted territory for me. The whole thing is a little nerve-wracking :D

Barb

How long have you homeschooled? None of my children have ever attended school, save for my oldest in K and 1, so this is uncharted territory for me. The whole thing is a little nerve-wracking :D

Barb

Buckeye...that will be a hike! We moved from Surprise to an area near Anthem about 2 years ago.

It sounds like your daughter will be more than prepared for the rigors of a Great Hearts school. With her solid math background, she'll be able to devote more of her energies to other subjects.

Except for a two year stint in the public school arena two years ago, all three of our daughters have only been homeschooled. I had initially intended for only our 9th grader to attend SPA, but after touring the school and speaking with school administrators, I came to realize how much the junior high years aid in laying the foundation for what is covered in high school. As a result, we decided to enroll our 6th and 8th grade daughters as well. All three girls are actually counting the days until school begins. I haven't decided if I should have hurt feelings or not!

Sabrina

I'm glad for you, Sabrina...and hopefully you too, Barb!

Dh & I toured Mesa Prep w/ our dd who is going into 6th. If she had shown the slightest desire to go I would've put her on the waiting list (there were 13 for 6th grade back in June). But she had always been homeschooled, and is an introvert. So, home she stays. However, I keep meaning to email the headmaster to see when they start enrolling for 6th grade 2011, when my ds will be old enough. :D He is also academically inclined and an extrovert!!!

I am very pro-homeschooling. But the school, the curriculum, the headmaster, the teachers we met -- it looked excellent. :)

Buckeye...that will be a hike! ...

Except for a two year stint in the public school arena two years ago, all three of our daughters have only been homeschooled.... I had initially intended for only our 9th grader to attend SPA, but after touring the school and speaking with school administrators, I came to realize how much the junior high years aid in laying the foundation for what is covered in high school. As a result, we decided to enroll our 6th and 8th grade daughters as well. All three girls are actually counting the days until school begins. I haven't decided if I should have hurt feelings or not!

Sabrina

Surprisingly, since we live off the 10 more or less, it is only taking about 35 minutes when we pick up the 101. I tried heading up 303, but there's just no easy way to get east going that way. Dh will drop her in the morning on his way to work and I'll pick her up, so I'll only be driving one way.

Do you know whether they plan extracurriculars the first year? She used to be on the gym team back East, but we haven't found anything affordable since moving to AZ. She misses being active and would like to do track.

I know what you mean about hurt feelings. Jen is so excited to go, she can hardly contain herself. I thought she'd have a few mixed feelings since the baby is due mid-September, but it seems like this has eclipsed even that. It's too bad the girls won't be attending the same school!

Barb

I'm glad for you, Sabrina...and hopefully you too, Barb!

Dh & I toured Mesa Prep w/ our dd who is going into 6th. If she had shown the slightest desire to go I would've put her on the waiting list (there were 13 for 6th grade back in June). But she had always been homeschooled, and is an introvert. So, home she stays. However, I keep meaning to email the headmaster to see when they start enrolling for 6th grade 2011, when my ds will be old enough. :D He is also academically inclined and an extrovert!!!

I am very pro-homeschooling. But the school, the curriculum, the headmaster, the teachers we met -- it looked excellent. :)

Lee, we had the same experience here with my 11yo. I was excited to send the two of them together, but she was really lukewarm about the whole thing. Dh only has a two seater car right now (bought himself a midlife-crises convertible last year), so I started to think that it would be a hardship for me to drive both ways with a newborn anyway. He will likely trade his 2 seater for a 4 seater in the next year or so because the two seater isn't proving to be very practical across the board. But we are looking for a gently used '04-'06 convertible BMW, so I don't want to feel pressured. I want to keep an eye on the used ads and wait for the right deal to come along.

Wow, I'm really rambling this morning. Anyway, my point is, I'm hoping that once it is convenient to send her, I think she can be convinced to come around. Perhaps later in the school year or first thing next year. Siblings get prioritiy placement, so she shouldn't have trouble getting in.

You know, the curriculum does look good and I love the small class sizes. But what really sold me was their Philosophy page. Rather than the typical self-serving focus of a private prep school, they seem to emphasize character, tradition, service, and personal responsibility. I felt very at home...they seem to portray an almost (shhhh!) Catholic school sensibility :D Very unusual for a public charter.

Hey, as long as I have the attention of you two AZ ladies, can either of you recommend a pedi or family practitioner in the valley who is laid back and can deal with homeschooling, homebirthing, selective vax...that sort of thing?

TIA, Barb

ETA: Hey, did you know that GHA was originally founded at least partially by homeschooling families in the valley? I spoke with Jessica Shell, the enrollment co-ordinator, and she said she was part of the founding GHA class and in their first round of graduates. I asked whether they get many former homeschoolers and she said she believes they get more than their share.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These programs look really good. It'll be something to consider as DD approaches that age. I also have time to sit back and see how well the program will shake out over time. I like the idea that the schools are kept small, as well as the challenging curriculum. There's also Gilbert Classical Academy (wrong side of the valley for the OP), which is a district school but looks like a good program. I'm hoping there's more of this springing up in the coming years. I have strong reservations about sending DD to school, but if it was the right program, and she wanted it, I'd consider it, yk?