Menu

Should I be glad or what??

DD and I attended the local public high school graduation last night, as she had a friend graduating and actually would have graduated this year if she had not been so behind when I started homeschooling waay back in 3rd grade! :glare: It was actually a very entertaining and amusing graduation---the MOST enjoyable one I have actually ever been to. Leaving dd and I feeling kind of wishy washy now about being part of a VERY very small group of homeschoolers in this valley---basically on our own with no 'group' to identify with---Catholic, gluten free AND homeschoolers! LOL!!

Anyways---I came across this tidbit of information about our school district this morning and now feel glad we have chosen to homeschool, especially through high school. BUT---i will say after hearing the speeches last night about what a 'wonderful' class 2010 was---well----help me straighten my brain out on this one---please?

"In 2009 (after 6 years of funding from this grant) Salmon High School was rated as the worst in all of East Idaho, for the use of drugs, alcohol and high school pregnancies. According to District 7 Public Health, whom this information is coming from. In addition, Salmon high school is third highest for the use of drugs, alcohol and high school pregnancies in the state if Idaho, following a close short second behind a school near Boise and number one in the Cour'de Alene Native American Reservation." This has been about a $600,000 grant.

AND:" we serve 30-45 children; IF we make an impact on just 1 of them to actually follow through and make healthy choices... I think that's a pretty good return on the investment. Not to mention the jobs created in our community" This woman (the grant writer) I quoted here is saying that her program created '1' job for a teenager! And she thinks that is a good return???

It's hard to be pretty much loners in our quest to educate our kids in this small town----but I should be concerned about these statistics, right? I mean---would any of you want your kids to be a part of this? Duel enrollement, etc??

Well, you are probably in the process of reminding yourself why you chose to homeschool. ;) I'm sure the graduation showed the best face of all of graduates, their education and accomplishments. There are advantages and disadvantages for each choice, whether private, public or home educated. And one of the HUGE advantages is being able to bypass, in large part, all of peer-driven drug/alcohol/overs***ed culture and allow your dd to focus on lots more wholesome and real life endeavors. I think it's natural to look at what others are doing and reassess our choices.

I'm sorry you don't have a large support group. Perhaps dual-enrollment will help provide that.

Lisa

We are lucky here in Boise to have two nice homeschool graduation ceremonies, and we will probably do one of them in a couple of years, but even if they were not available I would not dual enroll my kids in the schools. One of the biggest advantages to homeschooling through high school for me, is that my daughter does not have to deal with drugs/dating/drinking and the like. She has friends, interests and activities but she does not have the pressure to grow up too fast that most public school kids have to endure.

I think it sounds like you're making the right decision to homeschool! We haven't had a whole lot of support from other sources either, but dd is involved in volunteering and a youth group, which are both very positive influences on her! I'd rather have LESS socialization stuff, with all it offers, and more of the POSITIVE influences that dd has now. It's helping her work on her leadership skills, and she loves helping others. MUCH more positive than the peer pressure stuff she'd encounter otherwise!

We have had great support (of the co-parenting kind) from our sons' coaches. The boys' gymnastics world, from coaches to parents to judges, has functioned as a consistant community of people devoted to raising good, strong boys. Some of them even know Latin LOL. And they know about homeschooling. Some of the adults my children have spend time with when they are peacewalking have been absolutely fantastic influences. Scouting is also a supportive world (with more public school sort of stuff going on, though), although we didn't take as much advantage of it as we might. Similarly with the sunday school/youth group world. I agree, though, that there is something very special about having your whole town supporting your child and their classmates. I think this might be hard to understand unless you live in a small town? Wide-spread community support is a very nice thing. I miss it. But I would not trade it for the very individualized support my children have received from their co-walkers and the Nipponzan Myohoji monks and their coaches.

-Nan

Every time I hit a point when I wonder while we are homeschooling, God sends me a message to remind me that we're on the right track. Sometimes he allows me to see the good things our dc are missing and then confirms that our choice is the right one. Maybe this is what's happened to you with the graduation and the article you saw afterward.

My recent reminder was having my a relative, a high school student, get suspended for a fight that happened over the weekend. Fortunately, the suspension was cancelled after her parents informed the school that the other child's parent actually drove his child to my relative's neighborhood, held my relative at one point, and later was heard to say to his child, "I'll give you three minutes to kick her ---."

If you ever decide to move East, we have a wonderful Catholic homeschool community, and I know a great, gluten-free family.

We are lucky here in Boise to have two nice homeschool graduation ceremonies, and we will probably do one of them in a couple of years, but even if they were not available I would not dual enroll my kids in the schools. One of the biggest advantages to homeschooling through high school for me, is that my daughter does not have to deal with drugs/dating/drinking and the like. She has friends, interests and activities but she does not have the pressure to grow up too fast that most public school kids have to endure.

You guys ARE totally lucky in Boise!! I'm glad to hear that there are high school homeschool moms still in Boise that don't want to dual enroll---I had heard that the 'thing' to do down there was homeschool until high school and that made me sad. IMO---high school is probably MORE important to homeschool than the younger years---for ALL the reasons stated from me and the rest of the moms here.

I think it sounds like you're making the right decision to homeschool! We haven't had a whole lot of support from other sources either, but dd is involved in volunteering and a youth group, which are both very positive influences on her! I'd rather have LESS socialization stuff, with all it offers, and more of the POSITIVE influences that dd has now. It's helping her work on her leadership skills, and she loves helping others. MUCH more positive than the peer pressure stuff she'd encounter otherwise!

Crazily enough----OUR church's youth group was probably the WORST influence so far on our kids! A few of the 'worst' graduated and left already---but I'll tell you what, the negativity and backstabbing practically ruined our faith a few years back :001_huh: This next year we are definitely going to be working on the power of positive thinking and hopefully find some volunteering/helping opportunities.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Crazily enough----OUR church's youth group was probably the WORST influence so far on our kids! A few of the 'worst' graduated and left already---but I'll tell you what, the negativity and backstabbing practically ruined our faith a few years back :001_huh: This next year we are definitely going to be working on the power of positive thinking and hopefully find some volunteering/helping opportunities.

I've heard this frequently, which is why our children don't participate in youth group. Instead, we participate in home fellowships as a family with other families.

Every time I hit a point when I wonder while we are homeschooling, God sends me a message to remind me that we're on the right track.

Thank you for sharing this. Years ago we lived by a wonderful family whose children thrived in public school. One day I was so discouraged that I wondered during prayer why I couldn't do the same for my kids. I received a strong confirmation that we were doing what was right for our children. That experience has buoyed me up on many a bad homeschool day. We don't homeschool for religious reasons but this helps me.

Crazily enough----OUR church's youth group was probably the WORST influence so far on our kids!

My 14yo attends early morning seminary. I sit in the parking lot every morning watching the youth trickle into the building. These aren't terrible kids, but I'm glad my dd isn't as concerned with clothes, boys, and makeup. I'm thankful that we've been able to maintain her innocence for a little bit longer.

You guys ARE totally lucky in Boise!! I'm glad to hear that there are high school homeschool moms still in Boise that don't want to dual enroll---I had heard that the 'thing' to do down there was homeschool until high school and that made me sad. IMO---high school is probably MORE important to homeschool than the younger years---for ALL the reasons stated from me and the rest of the moms here.
:iagree:

I'm in Tennessee, and many people here also homeschool until high school, and then quit. I agree, this seems to be at the worst time. I also agree with what you said about the church youth group. Most of the negative things my kids learn are from the church youth. I struggle with this often. No one ever said homeschooling would be easy!:)

Sad but true! :( Sorry that happened to you! We had a friend who scrimped and saved so her dd could go to a Christian elementary/Jr. High school. It ends up that the kids were VERY uppity and mean, and the people on the board were parents. Needless to say, when she'd had enough of the teasing and bullying and reacted, SHE got in big trouble, and nothing happened to the other kids! She was not innocent, and shouldn't have done what she did. HOWEVER, to punish her with suspension and not do a thing to the kids who'd egged her on by their bad behaviour, mainly because of the established hierarchy......Grrrrr! :glare: The mom was livid, and it did a work on her faith too! Thankfully they were able to move past it, and are back to church (though not the constituent church for that school). They're homeschooling now too. I just felt so bad, cuz she was struggling, but TRYING to do the right thing, and she nor her dd were given any say!

That's why I'm so excited about this youth group my dd's in. It's actually not our denomination, but the kids and adults are very active and are excited about God! Our denominations agree enough that dd can help with their VBS, etc. The kids are positive, upbeat, helpful, friendly and definitely NOT worldly. I'm thrilled with this group, and dd loves it! So she now has a positive outlet.

Keep looking! I'll pray you and your dd find some positive things!

Edited by Brindee

Sad but true! :( Sorry that happened to you! We had a friend who scrimped and saved so her dd could go to a Christian elementary/Jr. High school. It ends up that the kids were VERY uppity and mean, and the people on the board were parents. Needless to say, when she'd had enough of the teasing and bullying and reacted, SHE got in big trouble, and nothing happened to the other kids! She was not innocent, and shouldn't have done what she did. HOWEVER, to punish her with suspension and not do a thing to the kids who'd egged her on by their bad behaviour, mainly because of the established hierarchy......Grrrrr! :glare: The mom was livid, and it did a work on her faith too! Thankfully they were able to move past it, and are back to church (though not the constituent church for that school). They're homeschooling now too. I just felt so bad, cuz she was struggling, but TRYING to do the right thing, and she nor her dd were given any say!

That's why I'm so excited about this youth group my dd's in. It's actually not our denomination, but the kids and adults are very active and are excited about God! Our denominations agree enough that dd can help with their VBS, etc. The kids are positive, upbeat, helpful, friendly and definitely NOT worldly. I'm thrilled with this group, and dd loves it! So she now has a positive outlet.

Keep looking! I'll pray you and your dd find some positive things!

Wow---crazy! :001_huh: But sadly, not surprising. Thank you SO much for keeping us in your prayers! It really does mean a lot ;) We, as a family, are working VERY, very hard on positive thinking, most especially since we are not really living where we really want to--trying to really live the mantra 'Home is where the Heart is" while we also work on things that could change our situation as well---but not homeschooling of course.

I'm in Tennessee, and many people here also homeschool until high school, and then quit. I agree, this seems to be at the worst time. I also agree with what you said about the church youth group. Most of the negative things my kids learn are from the church youth. I struggle with this often. No one ever said homeschooling would be easy!:)

And the CRAZIEST thing about the church youth group---is that the kids who were the absolute worst influence......were also homeschoolers!! :001_huh: So not only did my kids get a nice hefty dose of their faith being challenged, they also have a sour flavor for homeschoolers here in general. Buut....there is always hope and we are going to try to turn all of this negativity around for our dd's 12th grade year. MAJOR prayer and finger crossing and soul searching going on here:blink:

Wow---crazy! :001_huh: But sadly, not surprising. Thank you SO much for keeping us in your prayers! It really does mean a lot ;) We, as a family, are working VERY, very hard on positive thinking, most especially since we are not really living where we really want to--trying to really live the mantra 'Home is where the Heart is" while we also work on things that could change our situation as well---but not homeschooling of course.

And the CRAZIEST thing about the church youth group---is that the kids who were the absolute worst influence......were also homeschoolers!! :001_huh: So not only did my kids get a nice hefty dose of their faith being challenged, they also have a sour flavor for homeschoolers here in general. Buut....there is always hope and we are going to try to turn all of this negativity around for our dd's 12th grade year. MAJOR prayer and finger crossing and soul searching going on here:blink:
Isn't that sad? It certainly puts a nasty taste in the mouth for people thinking about Christians! I wish they were living what their beliefs SHOULD be!

Happily, not all groups--church groups and youth groups, are like that, and I feel blessed we found the one dd is in (ages 13-19)! Too bad you live so far away, and your dd can't come to this Youth Group! :001_smile: