Menu

Curriculum For an ADHD Child

Guest kmshaw

Guest kmshaw

Hello,

First time poster here:)

We are planning to home school our grandson. He is currently in a private Christian school which teaches the A Beka curriculum. He will be entering the 7th grade in the fall. He is very bright and has always made Honor Roll/Principals List, except for the previous grading period. He suffers from ADHD and is on medication which has made the difference between failing and succeeding. However, he has had problems focusing in the 6th grade and we feel (as well as his current teacher) that home schooling would be better for him. He has trouble relating to his peers in school due to the ADHD but he is very active and confident in our Church's youth group so he should not be lacking in socialization with other children.

My question: What curriculum would be best for an ADHD child? Do you feel that A Beka would continue to be a good choice? I'm really looking for comments and suggestions from parents of ADHD children that have the experience of homeschooling a child of middle and high school age.

Thank you.

Welcome new homeschooler! How wonderful that you are doing this for your grandson.

I have a 13yo son who is ADHD and will be going into the 8th grade this year. The classroom environment is a tough place for a lot of these kids, it's just hard to concentrate when there's so much going on. I've found that my son does MUCH better one-on-one or even working on his own.

As far as curriculum, I'm sorry I really don't have an answer there. We used a pre-set, full curriculum the first year we homeschooled (he was third). One one hand, it helped me to feel more comfortable homeschooling. On the other hand, my son had pretty big weaknesses in some areas and tremendous strenghts in the others. I didn't feel the set curriculum was able to address these and as I became more confident in my knowledge of homeschooling, I began putting my own mix of different curriculums together.

In your case, I understand that A Beka is an excellent curriculum, it is already set up for you and would be a tremendous help in your first year, and your grandson is already used to it. (Hopefully, other A Beka users can give you more info on this.)

I know I probably wasn't much help here, but you are welcome to pm (private message) me if I can help in anyway.

Good luck!

There isn't one. One treats the ADHD, not the curricula. :>)

If he has done well with the ABeka program and enjoys it, then continue with it. Sounds as if he should do fine !

I would be worrying more about why the teacher sounds as if she wants to get him out of the school.

O-6

(an ADHD mother with two ADHD children -- the elder of which is half-way through college, the younger of which is a rising 6th grader)

Edited by Orthodox6

[COLOR="Purple]My son will turn 13yo in September, but will be beginning 7th grade instead of 8th (we started him in school a year later).

He has ADD (and dyslexia). The thing that works best for him is to alternate something that has more writing with a subject that is heavier on the reading. For example, he will start his day with bible reading, then do math, then a break. After a short break, he'll read his literature reading, then work in his Megawords workbook.

He also does better doing lots of stuff orally. Instead of answering literature study guide questions on paper, we'll do it orally.

My son also likes to listen to the audio version of books as he reads along. I think he partly enjoys this because of dyslexia, but my older son, who doesn't struggle with reading at all but has Asperger syndrome, says that the reading along with audio helps keep his attention to the reading. My younger son says the same thing.

Both of my boys have enjoyed the Story of the World series...reading along to the audio too. Your grandson could *easily* read through SOTW vol. 1 & 2 this year and vol. 3 & 4 next year. My son will be reading through vol. 2 next year. He will do the map work with each chapter and for some chapters he will write a narration or take the chapter test (will probably alternate these through the year).

For science, you might check into Rainbow Science. It has short, to the point readings for 2 days a week, then a lab on the 3rd day of the week. Abeka science has always been a little too wordy for my boys (same reason the very popular Apologia science hasn't been a hit here either).

For grammar, you might check into Easy Grammar, Winston Grammar or one we are gonna try next year called Grammar Key. It reminds me of Winston Grammar (which I really like) but is done on the computer. Always a plus for me!

Math...that's a toughy for me. My boys have *enjoyed* Teaching Textbooks, but they both struggle in a math (younger one not much, but the older one has a serious math LD). Teaching Textbooks is great for a kid who likes to work on the computer son (I wouldn't do all subjects on the computer, but one or two makes the day more interesting for my boys:). They also get immediate feedback, since TT grades it for mom. That's a HUGE plus for us.

But, my older son is gonna be using Math U See Alg. 1 with a tutor next year. Math U See is often a first choice among families with kids who have ADD.

How's his writing? IEW and Writeshop are two biggies that often work very, very well with ADD kids. My older son has not done well with IEW, so we are going to try Writeshop next year.

Oh, for literature we've enjoyed Progreny Press study guides in past year (older son is going back to them next fall). We do most of the guide orally. I usually allow my boys to help pick out 5 literature books to read and study each year.[/color]

Guest kmshaw
I would be worrying more about why the teacher sounds as if she wants to get him out of the school.

It's not that she wants to get him out of the school, it's that she understands the distractions in his school environment (all grade 6-12 classrooms surround the gymnasium which is LOUD most of the day) and the problems with his relationships with his classmates caused by his ADHD. His teacher also home schooled her own daughter and understands the benefits. The school overall has changed for the worst during the last few years and, as a teacher, she is frustrated at what has happened.

We are adopting our grandson and my wife is home during the day. We feel home schooling will give us more control over his education. Our grandson is very bright and gifted musically. We hope home schooling will allows us to help him with his weaknesses and help him excel with his strengths.

[COLOR="Purple]My son will turn 13yo in September, but will be beginning 7th grade instead of 8th (we started him in school a year later).

He has ADD (and dyslexia). The thing that works best for him is to alternate something that has more writing with a subject that is heavier on the reading. For example, he will start his day with bible reading, then do math, then a break. After a short break, he'll read his literature reading, then work in his Megawords workbook.

He also does better doing lots of stuff orally. Instead of answering literature study guide questions on paper, we'll do it orally.

My son also likes to listen to the audio version of books as he reads along. I think he partly enjoys this because of dyslexia, but my older son, who doesn't struggle with reading at all but has Asperger syndrome, says that the reading along with audio helps keep his attention to the reading. My younger son says the same thing.

Both of my boys have enjoyed the Story of the World series...reading along to the audio too. Your grandson could *easily* read through SOTW vol. 1 & 2 this year and vol. 3 & 4 next year. My son will be reading through vol. 2 next year. He will do the map work with each chapter and for some chapters he will write a narration or take the chapter test (will probably alternate these through the year).

For science, you might check into Rainbow Science. It has short, to the point readings for 2 days a week, then a lab on the 3rd day of the week. Abeka science has always been a little too wordy for my boys (same reason the very popular Apologia science hasn't been a hit here either).

For grammar, you might check into Easy Grammar, Winston Grammar or one we are gonna try next year called Grammar Key. It reminds me of Winston Grammar (which I really like) but is done on the computer. Always a plus for me!

Math...that's a toughy for me. My boys have *enjoyed* Teaching Textbooks, but they both struggle in a math (younger one not much, but the older one has a serious math LD). Teaching Textbooks is great for a kid who likes to work on the computer son (I wouldn't do all subjects on the computer, but one or two makes the day more interesting for my boys:). They also get immediate feedback, since TT grades it for mom. That's a HUGE plus for us.

But, my older son is gonna be using Math U See Alg. 1 with a tutor next year. Math U See is often a first choice among families with kids who have ADD.

How's his writing? IEW and Writeshop are two biggies that often work very, very well with ADD kids. My older son has not done well with IEW, so we are going to try Writeshop next year.

Oh, for literature we've enjoyed Progreny Press study guides in past year (older son is going back to them next fall). We do most of the guide orally. I usually allow my boys to help pick out 5 literature books to read and study each year.[/color]

:iagree:

I wouldn't choose Abeka . Or ALL Abeka. Many ADHD do great with Sonlight , Math U See , ACE . ACE particularly it's very easy to use . Some say it's not as rigurous as others , but it works great for kids in the spectrum or ADHD . Many Christian schools use ACE with success. If you add great books he is interested in , you are all set :)

Edited by blessedmom3

Guest kmshaw
:iagree:

I wouldn't choose Abeka . Or ALL Abeka. Many ADHD do great with Sonlight , Math U See , ACE . ACE particularly it's very easy to use . Some say it's not as rigurous as others , but it works great for kids in the spectrum or ADHD . Many Christian schools use ACE with success. If you add great books he is interested in , you are all set :)

Specifically, why do you think A Beka would not be a good choice for an ADHD student? Someone also expressed that view to me via e-mail but I didn't get a response back to the reason why. My only exposure to A Beka is from the homework perspective. I've never experienced the classroom side of things. I believe from what I read that workbooks are extensively used.

Keeping lessons short and to the point work better for my boys (one ADD and one on the autistic spectrum-Asperger syndrome).

Many folks (parents and kids:) think Abeka history is a little on the dry side. Dry reading makes it even harder for an ADD kid to stay focused. Story of the World with Usborne or Kingfisher supplemental readings is still a perfect choice for a middle schooler. Sonlight uses Story of the World as their spine in their middle school Cores.

Sonlight is good for an ADD kid who really likes to read *or* for a parent who is willing to stretch one Core out for 2 years. Sonlight is wayyyy toooo much daily reading for my boys.

But, we use many of the Sonlight books. My older son has read History of US by Hakim. He really loves those books. He will be finishing books 7-10 this school year. They make a great follow-up to Story of the World if you want to take a year or so to focus just on American History.

The History of US series has short chapters and lots of pictures (lots of ADD kids are very visual...mine are).

Abeka science can be too wordy for some ADD kids. It's a different kind of wordy that Apologia. Apologia is very conversational, which makes it wordy. Abeka is just full of TOO many facts on a page for some kids.

As far as learning to write, programs like Abeka Grammar has writing instructions but often times is not broken down into small enough steps for an ADD kids. There are really a lot of steps in the writing process. Kids with ADD often (usually?) have trouble with multi-steps, so a program that breaks that process down where you can really see each step and practice each step individually is helpful. That's why IEW and Writeshop often times work so well with ADD kids.

HTH,

I have a rising 6th grade add/dyslexic son. I've found the best thing I can do is to keep the lessons short and interesting, and keep on a schedule. My son needs to know that at x time yz will happen. My son loves hands on science projects, and reading for a short period of time. I used A Beka when I went to a private school, so I looked at it when we started homeschooling. I found it to be dry and overwhelming, with a lot of busy work that you don't need in a homeschool (tutor) environment. My son did very well with My Father's World curriculum. It has short but engaging lessons and is a solid curriculum. My son also likes to do some of his work on the computer. We do math drills and spelling review via computer games that I bought at Costco. Feel free to mix and match from different publishers to get what fits your Grandchild.

Blessings,

Kim

Edited To Add

I think it's wonderful that you are adopting your Grandchild. You are obviously loving, caring people to be so concerned for his well being. I was raised by my Grandparents but they were unable to adopt me. To this day, 30 years later, I tell my Mom Thank You for raising me( Dad passed away years ago).What you are doing will make a huge difference in his life.

Blessings to your family.

Kim

Edited by zookeeperof3
Forgot to add something.

I haven't been to this forum for over a year and I'm on here now trying to get some input regarding my son's apparent ADD issues and what curriculum may work with him, as well! What a coincidence that you just posted the same the other day.

Anyway, it sounds like your grandson is a good student and learns well which is good for you, being first-time homeschoolers? Abeka is a traditional schooling method. If you wanted to order the DVD program for him, it would be exactly like he was in a classroom, listening to the teacher speak to the class, write on the blackboard, asking students questions, students asking questions and answering questions, right there on DVD, etc.! Your wife, would take the role as 2nd teacher and maybe you can be the principal, being available to help out in any areas that he may need help on and overseeing him, making sure he's doing the work. He would do assignments in his workbooks. You can even have him graded by the Abeka company and thus have official transcripts for him. I only criticize this program because it is just like the boring school I remember...BUT, you are in a very difficult position right now of having to learn how to homeschool for the first time...and a 7th grader! You are going to be in a parental role and a teacher role and that is a lot of weight on grandparents (who would probably prefer just to have the grandparent role -- and I understand that because my parents right now are in that very position with my brother and his children). It's been very hard. I would highly recommend buying the entire Abeka DVD program (actually it is rented for each grade...you can look into it at www.abeka.com). It will relieve you of a tremendous amount of work regarding the teaching part. The really ideal thing is that he's already used to Abeka, so there will be no real surprises for him (that consistency and structure is good for the ADHD in him). He will probably be delighted to find out that he can work at his own pace and even finish his day much sooner than being in a school, which will allow time for his active side to be satisfied...and more time for his love of music.

So instead of looking for new curriculum, I believe that you should research how to make learning at home a good fit for his ADHD while using the Abeka program. I highly recommend that you go to www.headsupnow.com and read up on Melinda Boring's techniques and tips on teaching ADD and ADHD challenged kids (you can even just set up an appt. to call and talk with her...she's amazing to talk with). She will tell you ways to help keep your child focused, how to keep them active while still doing their work, helping with fidgetyness and making school more at their interest level. Her website probably has links to other helpful websites, resources, as well.

I just want to add that Abeka is a very thorough and excellent education. He will be college ready when he finishes. Please feel free to cut down on the amount of work Abeka makes the student do...especially if you sense your grandson is showing signs of being overwhelmed. My son does Abeka math and I just do not make him do all of the many problems that they require. I also give him what he calls a "free Friday" where he only has to do one side of the page of math. You have to remember that these books are designed for a classroom. The classroom always gives more to kill time--keep 'em busy and homework, as well! If he's doing great, then give a Friday off or circle only every other problem everyday, or have him just do a page and don't have him do the homework problems...too much!

You are very loving to not only adopt him but to also care enough to homeschool him because of his needs. If the Abeka program doesn't work for him this year (as you will be able to see as time goes on), then use that time to start researching other methods but for now you need to take the easiest way, so that you can concentrate on all the other things that you will be doing. Take it easy, :chillpill: trust the Lord...let this be a year that you get to understand your grandson and relate to him in ways he needs in order to develop a full person, confident and with the support of loving grandparents...who are on his side. The academics are really so secondary when it comes to the big picture <><

I have a rising 6th grade add/dyslexic son. I've found the best thing I can do is to keep the lessons short and interesting, and keep on a schedule. My son needs to know that at x time yz will happen. My son loves hands on science projects, and reading for a short period of time.
You might have a look at Heart of Dakota. It follows the Charlotte Mason method and is all planned for you. I plan to use it next year with my daughter who has ADHD. It fits all of the requirements in the quoted post above. There is a message board there where you can ask questions and the author or her editor usually respond. Edited by Lovedtodeath