Menu

What is your teaching techniques?

Jolana

This may seems like a silly question to ask for someone who has been home schooling for 1.5 years. I have 5th and 6th graders and what I have done so far in each subject is to assign them daily lesson and move on if they get 90% or more.

For example, in Singapore math, I would give them a certain numbers to do. If they get it 90% correct, they would go on to the next page. If not, I would go over the wrong problems with them until they get it. I never quiz them or give them a test. I thought they were doing great until they did the standardize test and forgot some of the topics they learn earlier in the year.

Also, in U.S. history I, I found that they can't remember the stuff they learn before. We did U.S. History to the Civil War this year, so I wanted to review before we are done for the year, and they can't remember half of the stuff. So now, I don't know if I should go on to U.S. History II next year or repeat history I. Does anyone else have this problem with their child?

It's obvious to me that my teaching technique needs improvement, so I'm wondering how do you guys teach. Do you give frequent tests, review previous lessons or test old materials periodically?

I'm looking forward to your thoughts, comments, or advice.

I'll be really intersted to see what kind of responses you get to this.

For myself, we do very few tests. We use A Beka math which has tests and quizzes pretty frequently, but apart from that I really don't do any. For history I find that having a time line on the wall is good for reference. It jogs their memory. Just going back and talking about things is a good way to reinforce. I'm not sure testing would improve memory, but...

:lurk5:

Let's see what some seasoned hsers have to say.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

We had the same issue with Singapore. I believe it doesn't have enough review. You could either supplement it with review sheets, so they don't forget how to do the problems or switch to a different math.

What are you doing for History? Are you reading books, a text? Do you do activities with it? That will help figure out the problem maybe.

As easy as it used to be for me, I used to grab a few problems, show them how to do them, then let them on their own...but then we had retention issues, so I started teaching all the problems from the text and doing the practice problems, too. We spend about 20-30 min. going through the text before they're cut loose. Otherwise, we don't retain. In addition, they have daily practice for rote memorization (MUS online drills) so they can never forget division facts whilst we study another topic.

1. As for history, I have found the WTM way of notetaking and reports/summaries are key to retention. The Elders have to read, take notes and summarize;
  2. in addition to answering Comprehension questions (that go a little deeper than one word answers). I expect their answers to be thorough.
  3. We use Quizlet for history vocabulary practice.
  4. Discussions and/or lectures have really helped too. I think my dc weren't always sure of what was important enough to remember (they only have so much room in there, you know), but our discussions have taught them how to study, what to look for, and how to make connections between the variety of literature we use.
  5. Finally, I do test after each lesson is complete. The program I use offers "Evaluations" and I believe the sense of accountability did improve retention :D (how 'bout that!) When they miss answers, I generally have them make corrections or improvements.
  6. For younger students, who I don't expect to retain much, I find lapbook reviews are good enough to instill at least a few things for the next round.

Since following all that work, I am blown away at all they can remember...I'll also add, if I remember the ages of your dc correctly (5th and 6th grades?), they'll start remembering more in the coming years. Seems like as the brains switch more and more to Logic Stage thinking, they simply make more sense in the area of retention b/c they're putting together many pieces as a whole, instead of arbitrary facts that they don't know how to connect and therefore, can't articulate.

So, in short, teach them study skills. Lecture important points. Discuss what they're learning regularly and expect them to come as a part of the discussion, not just a listener.

Best wishes :)

Mrsjamiesouth, I used American Story textbook and the girls take turn reading them out loud, ask me anything they don't understand, and then they write a summary afterward. Since I'm sitting there with them, I will make additional comments or clarifications here and there as needed. I think the problem is that after they summarize, we go on to the next chapter, never reviewing. Maybe that is what I needed to do.

Lisa, I'm going to start giving them quizzes on Quizlet. Do you make your own questions to correspond with your textbook? Also, do you ever go back and review previous materials and quiz them to see if they had retained the info?

We make notebooking pages for grammar, math, and spelling. We do lapbooks for history, science and sometimes make notebooking pages for those.

I put all of these things in a binder so that the child can easily access their previous work to either look at or use as a reference.

We make these pages simple, clear and visual.:001_smile:

Mrsjamiesouth, I used American Story textbook and the girls take turn reading them out loud, ask me anything they don't understand, and then they write a summary afterward. Since I'm sitting there with them, I will make additional comments or clarifications here and there as needed. I think the problem is that after they summarize, we go on to the next chapter, never reviewing. Maybe that is what I needed to do.

Lisa, I'm going to start giving them quizzes on Quizlet. Do you make your own questions to correspond with your textbook? Also, do you ever go back and review previous materials and quiz them to see if they had retained the info?

Using your current methods, a simple review would be daily "public speaking." Before you start Tuesday's work, you have them read aloud whatever they wrote about on Monday. You can use Mondays to have them read something "older" for review.

The program I use offers questions (Tapestry of Grace) that are outstanding.

You could also break your lessons and every so often, say 6 weeks, you can have a review week and your own style of unit celebration. Share your favorite parts of study, make a meal, invite friends, present special or ongoing projects.

Ongoing projects is also a way to make connections. Peek ahead at what's coming, find a common theme, and have them make a project board on....the history of clothing, education, food, the workforce, the farmer, animals in the nation, etc. so they will continue to connect the Timeline of history.

Which leads to another great review tactic. Even if you weekly "timeline" still write one on your board/teaching space and review your timeline. Each time a person or place is mentioned, just get an oral paragraph on what they remember. If you do this every "unit" or so, they'll remember, connect the dots, you get your review and you can see what areas might need review or simply a little more on the topic (whatever you choose is important).

Hope these ideas help.

Guest FiveLittleMonkeys10
This may seems like a silly question to ask for someone who has been home schooling for 1.5 years. I have 5th and 6th graders and what I have done so far in each subject is to assign them daily lesson and move on if they get 90% or more.

For example, in Singapore math, I would give them a certain numbers to do. If they get it 90% correct, they would go on to the next page. If not, I would go over the wrong problems with them until they get it. I never quiz them or give them a test. I thought they were doing great until they did the standardize test and forgot some of the topics they learn earlier in the year.

Also, in U.S. history I, I found that they can't remember the stuff they learn before. We did U.S. History to the Civil War this year, so I wanted to review before we are done for the year, and they can't remember half of the stuff. So now, I don't know if I should go on to U.S. History II next year or repeat history I. Does anyone else have this problem with their child?

It's obvious to me that my teaching technique needs improvement, so I'm wondering how do you guys teach. Do you give frequent tests, review previous lessons or test old materials periodically?

I'm looking forward to your thoughts, comments, or advice.

Don't be hard on yourself. You have to realize that even PS kids forget things on their standardized testing. It does not reflect on your teaching, it is a retension thing.

Tests and quizzes are in no way the only way to get the point across to your dc. As a pp suggested, projects. Projects are a fun way to have them learn more in-depth about a certain subject.

Lapbooks are also great.

Re-enactments (History, but I suppose this could be used in other classes as well.)

Some children we test, some we don't. Some like tests better than projects. They feel tests are less painful because they can just get it done and over with. My younger ones still do projects, including my 12yo.

Every child is different so if your child feels test will be better for them to understand and remember, by all means, give tests. But if they dread tests, don't force them upon the children.

Maybe Singapore just isn't working for your children. I wouldn't say drop it completely, but maybe add supplements? (i.e. LoF, etc.)

History would probably be better done with projects and re-enactments. Timelines also, as a pp suggested. Those are great. Especially if you have your children make their own, complete with pictures and glitter glue :D

Tina, I'm sorry I called you Lisa earlier. :)

I do do timeline, but it is not on the wall (LOL) since we are in a small apartment, so aesthetic wise, it would make me go crazy. It is nicely folded up in our history binder, and we take it out during history time and filled in as needed. I like your idea of learning 6 weeks, and use the next week to review. I think I will implement that.

Fivelittlemonkeys10- When I first started home schooling, I love the idea of lap-books and note-bookings. They look so cute and we spend a lot of time doing it. Then I realized we took more time making it than the actual learning, so this year I left it behind. It is funny that you mentioned re-enactment because that is what we did after reading the Civil War period. One daughter was General Robert E. Lee, and the other was General Ulysses Grant. Of all the history topics that I review with them, they remembered facts about the Civil War the most. They knew the year it started and ended, who the generals were, the first battle, Gettysburg battle and the last battle. Okay, a light bulb just went on. :001_smile: I need to do this with them for other history topics.

So far, I have garnered great ideas. Thank-you. Anymore?

Also, do you think I need to redo U.S. History I again next year, or should I just continue from Civil War to the present time?

Ds is finishing up 3rd grade. We don't do tests. We do things like oral and written narrations on the readings, dictation exercises, and CD rom/workbook math so I always know where he is, what he knows, and what I need to go over again with him. The only thing we do that comes close to a test is spelling, but he thinks of it as a game and really enjoys it.

Also, do you think I need to redo U.S. History I again next year, or should I just continue from Civil War to the present time?

I think that depends on how old they are. If you're in the grammar stage (1-4th) I wouldn't repeat it since they'll go over it again twice anyway. If they're older, maybe.

These are great suggestions. How do you do reenactments? We do projects and usually my older ones read aloud instead of me, which I think helps, but I've never done one.

I noticed a few pps mentioned switching math programs. A Beka is really good about reviewing concepts continually. They use what's called a spiral approach. It can be overkill sometimes, but they REALLY know the math when they're done.

My girls are 5th and 6th graders and will be in 6th and 7th grade this Fall, so maybe I should move forward in history lesson. I think I will review and do enactments for important periods in early American history for the next few weeks. It shouldn't be too time consuming because they do have their written summaries.

Our enactment is not much really. I asked the girl to pick the character they want to play, and they have to memorize facts for that character. For example, for the Civil War, my older daughter wanted to be General Grant so she focus on what he did during the Civil War. She memorized which battles he lost and won and details about him. My other daughter did the same but she was General Lee. After they learned their characters and the war itself, they enlist their younger sister for supporting roles. Then they put on a simple play for hubby and me; no customs or paraphernalia. That would be more fun, but would take too much time.

Singapore is a great math program, but now I'm starting to realize that its flaw (for our family) is that it is mastery based, and not spiral based, like Saxon. At first I thought that was great because I didn't see the need for review. I figure if they know how to add, then they will know it forever, right? However, it's different with newer topics, such as fractions, percentages, and pre-algebra equations. I think for basic math such as adding, subtraction, multiplication, and division, they did it for many years and continues to do so even in higher math; but they don't spent much time on the new skills. At most, we spent about a month or two in each topic and then move on. So for mastery math programs, I need to be the person to add the frequent reviews on previous topic or change the math program. They are almost done with Singapore math 6B, so I will need to find a spiral math program for algebra. Any suggestion?