Menu

Anyone use SWB's writing methods with TOG?

Quiver0f10

I haven't done this yet, but here is my very brief plan--ds will be in 5th grade and we're doing year 4. He is supposed to read Joy Hakim books nearly every week and I plan on having him do 2 - 1 level outlines from those books. I also have him doing a literary analysis from the literature he's reading or if he does a biography then a biography paper (ala TWTM questions in the book). He'll do 2 summaries; 1 from history and 1 from science.

I keep thinking I should be adding additional writing so I also have him doing some (not all) of the Writing Aids topics. Maybe this is overkill, SWB's plan just seems too simple.

Beth

I am planning on using ideas from WEM and WTM with my dd's rhetoric level writing next year, if that counts. :001_smile: I am going to swap out some TOG assignments for the writing-about-great-books process that SWB outlines in the high school section of WTM.

This is my plan too :)

I haven't done this yet, but here is my very brief plan--ds will be in 5th grade and we're doing year 4. He is supposed to read Joy Hakim books nearly every week and I plan on having him do 2 - 1 level outlines from those books. I also have him doing a literary analysis from the literature he's reading or if he does a biography then a biography paper (ala TWTM questions in the book). He'll do 2 summaries; 1 from history and 1 from science.

I keep thinking I should be adding additional writing so I also have him doing some (not all) of the Writing Aids topics. Maybe this is overkill, SWB's plan just seems too simple.

Beth

Thank you for sharing your plan. So you will have him only outline one book. That is what I was trying to figure out with so many books to be read. Good idea. I am not going to be using WA but I am thinking of using the writing topics for papers ala SWB.

I've decided to continue on with Write Shop 2 for "writing," but I will still make them outline and summarize from the core or a chosen in-depth b/c I think the material sinks much better when they have to write about what they read....even though they also have to answer questions....so I try to assign questions and have them summarize/report on something different so they're getting twice as much sinking in ;) OR I have them outline, then use their answers to questions as part of a summary/report on the matter.