Menu

Using SOTW Student Pages without Activity Guide?

TheLisa

You will get the coloring pages, the maps and the pages to go with the activities (which we don't do) -- but you will have no instructions.

Now, this will not be a big deal for the coloring pages, but for the maps, it would be burdensome. You could come up with your own recommended "color the _____ red" and so forth, but for the price, I personally am glad it is done for me.

I love the mapping exercises for my boys. I find some of them a little vague, but for the most part a great intro to world geography. I also have individual continent posters in the kitchen with major placed labeled. For instance, when we studied in Vol 1 the river civilizations, I made little paper arrows showing the Nile, Euphrates, Tigris, Yellow River, etc to make these stand out.

Also, when my boys do their maps and color, for instance the medieval islamic empire, I show them on the map the area between the red sea and the persian gulf. I always want to make sure they can see the modern connection.

I really like the activity guide because it gives me questions to ask my boys and suggested literature.

ps -- please forgive typos -- I'm in a hurry.

;)I used it last year without the AG. I ordered the test pages only. It came with maps, coloring pages, chapter summaries, and the tests. I would read the stories and then they would color in the map as I read to them.

I am using the AG with volume 4. I like it because it gives more information than just the test pages. I looked at a friend's AG from last year. I compared the question in the AG to the test pages. They are almost the same questions. Only, one is done in test form and the other is the child just answers. I guess it depends on what style you like. The AG style tends to lend itself to more narrations which I like.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony