Menu

Anyone with highschoolers interested in meteorology/atmospheric sciences...

Would you please share your general high school plan for maths/sciences. I'm in the process of laying out a rough 4 year plan for a student with a strong interest in atmospheric sciences. She is currently taking geometry (8th grade), having finished Algebra I, and is currently working through Spectrum (chemistry), but will need to revisit both biology and chemistry in high school. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks in advance.

Can't answer all of your questions but did want to let you know that there is a wonderful and short ( 1 week) mini-course on Atmospheric Physics offered by NM Tech each summer. Our ds went to it last year (at age 13) and loved it! It does require at least one year of high school and an ACT or SAT score. It's a real class too not some summer fluff!

Mary

As a fan of Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, I would have her start with that so that she builds an intuitive sense of physical concepts. From there I would move on to a text like Giancoli after she has studied Algebra II/Trig. An alternate plan if she is flying through her math is to take Calculus based Physics at a nearby college while she is in high school.

Here is the recommended college course list for a BS in Atmostpheric Science:

http://www.ametsoc.org/policy/statement_2005_BS_degree_atmospheric_science.html#2

Lots of math and physics. Many schools do not even offer Bachelor's degrees in the field. Students major in something like physics as an undergrad then do their Atmospheric work in grad school.

It would be terrific to find an internship and get some hands on work. There are weather consultants out there who might just take on a motivated student for a few weeks in the summer. You never know.

Good luck.

Jane

I will check into the program at NM Tech. I hadn't even thought of having her take ACTs or SATs yet though it seems that many highly academic summer programs are requiring these tests. Do you have a general plan that you are following for the next few years? Is it tailored toward acceptance into an undergraduate atmospheric sciences program or are his interests leading him in another direction? Thanks for any information you can provide.

I have the Hewitt's Conceptual Physics textbook. Did you use this as a year long course, or simply have your dc read through it. If you used this as a conceptual physics year-long course, how did you incorporate labs, etc? Did you create a schedule, or were you able to find a plan online somewhere?

Thanks!

I have the Hewitt's Conceptual Physics textbook. Did you use this as a year long course, or simply have your dc read through it. If you used this as a conceptual physics year-long course, how did you incorporate labs, etc? Did you create a schedule, or were you able to find a plan online somewhere?

Thanks!

My son did all of the review questions, plug and chugs, etc., and also did selected labs from the lab manual. Not everything can be performed at home, but we were able to improvise a number of the labs.

I will check into the program at NM Tech. I hadn't even thought of having her take ACTs or SATs yet though it seems that many highly academic summer programs are requiring these tests. Do you have a general plan that you are following for the next few years? Is it tailored toward acceptance into an undergraduate atmospheric sciences program or are his interests leading him in another direction? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Well, my son was interested in physics last summer not specifically atmospheric physics but this program was the closest. As the tide turns, his interests "this" year are in the areas of history and literature after years of a math and science focus. Go figure! Must be the impact of classical ed finally catching up!! So, no, I haven't mapped out a plan going forward becasue he one I did have tnettively in my head would be out the window now.;)

So, I'm just covering all bases with strong math and science sill required but letting him pursue other areas for sumer programs this time around.

Mary