Menu

What to save and how to save it?

bry's-gal

We have finished up our first year of homeschooling and I've got piles of papers and workbooks! What do I do with them all?

I was thinking of scanning in the work and keeping a file on the computer for each year (with a back-up copy). I'm just not sure how that would work long term or even what to keep of it all.

What do you guys do?

In MD we are required to submit a yearly portfolio with a sampling of work for each subject. I use a 1 1/2 in. binder with page protectors. I add a little work from the beginning of the year, middle and end. I also include any pictures of field trips we went on.

We photograph the artwork that this kids care about, post the original on the wall or door or refrigerator for a while and then, gasp, throw it away. I have discovered that they care about things much less than I do. And, it took us a while, becauses it seems like some part of the kid is in the work they do, but we finally got used to just throwing stuff out. Keep the knowledge, lose the stuff.

The few things we decided to keep go in their personal memory boxes, very carefully labeled about what, when, who and why. They take it all with them when they move out and then it is theirs to do with as they please.

We have never had to keep anything for any kind of portfolio or demonstration of knowledge though, so our experience might be different than what you need.

eta: I just remembered to add that my youngest son gets a kind of giddy delight out of burning his workbooks when he is finally finished with them.

I create a "portfolio" for our own records, by 3-hole punching and inserting the pages in a duotang folder (you know, a cardboard-type report cover with built-in brads that you put through the holes and split the metal tabs apart to secure the pages in place). I find these are much more permanent than binders, since the pages can move around the rings in the binder and eventually tear. I probably use 2-3 duotang folders per kid per year, dividing work by subject, depending on how it fits in the folder, but I also include their weekly assignment lists from the whole year, resource lists, etc., which take up additional space.

I go through the work for each subject, every workbook, and tear out a reasonable number of "representational pages" of each, something from the beginning, middle and end of the year. For my ds, I also keep the pages with fabulous doodles on them ;). For workbooks, I tear out the title page and table of contents, as well, so we know where the pages are coming from.

I do not submit these portfolios, and if I had to, would probably only select a few of these pages for it. However, I had both my kids undergo educational testing for learning differences, and when the psychologist asked for work samples, I just handed them the portfolios :001_smile:. It is very beneficial for recording purposes as well.

I scan things that might be important, then recycle the rest.

I also scan things like illustrated stories they may have done or samples of their handwriting. Makes for nice memories.

I would definitely look into using Carbonite for backup.

I've lost MANY of files...backed up at two locations at home.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a large, flat, under-the-bed Rubbermaid container for each child. I put all sorts of things inside and sort through it when it is full. I usually find it is easier for me to determine the importance of the paper/workbook/whatever after a little time has passed (i.e. it becomes obvious that I can let go of it).

I use a manila envelope for each child/year. I keep some tests, report cards (from Homeschool Tracker) and some other random papers in there. For workbooks I tear off the cover, put the child's name and date completed on it and put it in their envelope. Pictures are just kept on the computer with the rest of the family photos. All completed writing assignments are dated and kept in a large three ring binder that has all their writing assignments from K-12. It is fun to thumb through. I also have a large three-ring binder for some of their art work to be kept in, similar to the writing binder. A LOT is thrown out.