Menu

OK Hive, I need our collective knowledge to help with an urgent Airline situation

Our friends saved for 10 years to take their dream vacation to Hawaii. They are supposed to return today on ATA. ATA filed bankruptcy this morning and they are basically stranded on the island. Is there anything that they can do? Other than fork over $$ for new airline tickets on another airline? Are they going to have any recourse over this? I'm so bummed for them. My husband is working on getting them back to the mainland, even if not California, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any inside info on how to handle this.

I think it's criminal to allow people to buy round trip tickets and then leave them stranded. It's not even like they could drive back. They also volunteered to be bumped twice on the way out there, in exchange for vouchers that are worthless now. If nothing else, I know that they would appreciate your prayers for this situation. Thanks,

Did they book directly through ATA? If they booked through another agency or airline that uses ATA they would have more recourse (Southwest is giving its customers who were on ATA-served flights refunds and/or new tickets). ATA isn't helping any of its customers, as far as I can see.