Menu

Shot in the dark iPad question...use as a portable movie player in the car...

Okay, I'm SO SO SO trying to convince DH that an iPad is something to get.

We plan on buying a portable DVD player for the girls to watch movies during our cross-country trip (I'll be driving alone with them....the license plate game is only going to go so far...) But....I've been thinking instead that I could use the iPad for recorded books, games, movies, etc.... SO MUCH plus I could use it for surfing hotel reservations, etc...

So, I've done a quick google search and can't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone know of an aftermarket thing to hang the iPad on the back of a car seat or strap it to a center console safely so it can be watched from the backseat like one of those portable DVD players for a car? (Not the factory-built-in kind...)

I know it has a stand available, made by Apple...does anyone have this? Would it be secure enough to be used as a stand on the center console if it is attached somehow with a bungie or something? I can't just have one of the girls hold it, because the other would be consntatly saying, it's MYYYYYYY turn!!!!! trying to make it easy as pie.

Edited by BikeBookBread

Okay, I'm SO SO SO trying to convince DH that an iPad is something to get.

We plan on buying a portable DVD player for the girls to watch movies during our cross-country trip (I'll be driving alone with them....the license plate game is only going to go so far...) But....I've been thinking instead that I could use the iPad for recorded books, games, movies, etc.... SO MUCH plus I could use it for surfing hotel reservations, etc...

So, I've done a quick google search and can't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone know of an aftermarket thing to hang the iPad on the back of a car seat or strap it to a center console safely so it can be watched from the backseat like one of those portable DVD players for a car? (Not the factory-built-in kind...)

I know it has a stand available, made by Apple...does anyone have this? Would it be secure enough to be used as a stand on the center console if it is attached somehow with a bungie or something? I can't just have one of the girls hold it, because the other would be consntatly saying, it's MYYYYYYY turn!!!!! trying to make it easy as pie.

:w00t: Would this really work? What about sound? Does the iPad have external speakers that are good enough to be heard over road noise or would the kids need headphones?

Now you've got me thinking... :D

Have not seen one (but haven't looked for one), sorry. Your kids will definitely be fighting over who gets to hold it. I don't even take it out until they go to bed :lol:. That's if dh doesn't have it already.

I'll let you know if I find one.

I think I saw one. No help on where. Sorry.

However, I have a solution if there isn't one made for the purpose. At art-supply/craft-supply type places they sell plastic do-hickeys that sort of clamp together "picture frames" when there is no frame but just glass and a mat. And they are adjustable, clipping around the front and being secured on the back. I have not tried it, but I'm sure it would work perfectly. You just have to add a light tether to secure it around the seat-head rest.

But I think I saw something made for the purpose.

BTW, Movies are beautiful on the high resolution screens!

Bill

I think I saw one. No help on where. Sorry.

However, I have a solution if there isn't one made for the purpose. At art-supply/craft-supply type places they sell plastic do-hickeys that sort of clamp together "picture frames" when there is no frame but just glass and a mat. And they are adjustable, clipping around the front and being secured on the back. I have not tried it, but I'm sure it would work perfectly. You just have to add a light tether to secure it around the seat-head rest.

But I think I saw something made for the purpose.

BTW, Movies are beautiful on the high resolution screens!

Bill

Great idea! Oh man, I'm starting to dream of the possibilities. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want one.

How loud is the speaker? Would it be drowned out by road noise? I know we could do headsets, though.

Great idea! Oh man, I'm starting to dream of the possibilities. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want one.

How loud is the speaker? Would it be drowned out by road noise? I know we could do headsets, though.

At home I'm surprised how loud. In a noisy hospital waiting room it is only loud enough for personal use. I haven't tried a movie in the car. Hmm.

Bill