Menu

My puppies got spayed and neutered today I have a question

Just a little background information. I have two Cairn terriers that I got around Christmas time. They are brother and sister. The lady I bought them from tells me after I get them in the car with my kids that she had a problem with parvo last year so I take them to the vet right away that day for a check up and shots. They got a clean bill of health except worms and they gave them some medicine for that. The boy dog kept bumping in to everything and I talked to the vet about it at his next visit two weeks later. We had his eyes checked and his is almost completely blind. Phineus and Bella are the best of friends.

Here is my question they sleep in a crate at night because they get into things. I just got them fixed today. Phinues uses Bella as his eyes alot of the time. Would it be cruel to put them in separate crates while they are healing from surgery just to make sure they don't hurt each other? Or should they stay together. I am thinking separate crates because sometimes they fight and play rough and could hurt each others. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for suggestions and tips.

See how they're doing, but if they're still groggy from surgery keeping them together might be good. They'll be confused and upset enough as it is, separating them might make them agitated and more rambunctious.

I agree with the PP that whilethey are still under the effect of the anesthesia you might keep them together, but once they are back to their energetic puppy selves I would crate them separately to prevent them from opening an incision while playing or licking at each others incisions.

It's not cruel to separate them while they heal. It is kind and the smart thing to do.

Do crate them separately when you aren't in the room. . . when you are in the room and can make sure they aren't rough housing or *licking each other's wounds* you can have them together.

Early in practice, dh had an emergency call once. . . when a post-spay dog had chewed out her incision and proceeded to eat most of her spleen and a good length of intestines!!!!!!! (Remarkably, she healed up just fine after being stitched back together.) Needless to say, it is important to prevent licking the incision, b/c that can proceed to chewing the stitches out . . . If you have multiple dogs, one can do it to the other despite the e-collars (which only protect the dog from licking its OWN incision!)

The female dog's incision will take longer to heal, but your large breed male is over 6 mos old, so his might take a few days to feel just right as well.

Call the vet if you have any concerns.

Blind dogs usually do just fine. . . they adapt. . . and you'll want your blind dog to become accustomed to being alone so that if for some reason your other dog was in the hospital for a while. . . or passed away first. . . your blind one isn't totally LOST. So, if I were you, I'd try to intentionally separate them for a few hours each week (gradually if needed) just to get some comfort with that. (Have someone take the seeing dog to the park for a few hours or something like that.)

HTH

It's not cruel to separate them while they heal. It is kind and the smart thing to do.

Do crate them separately when you aren't in the room. . . when you are in the room and can make sure they aren't rough housing or *licking each other's wounds* you can have them together.

Early in practice, dh had an emergency call once. . . when a post-spay dog had chewed out her incision and proceeded to eat most of her spleen and a good length of intestines!!!!!!! (Remarkably, she healed up just fine after being stitched back together.) Needless to say, it is important to prevent licking the incision, b/c that can proceed to chewing the stitches out . . . If you have multiple dogs, one can do it to the other despite the e-collars (which only protect the dog from licking its OWN incision!)

The female dog's incision will take longer to heal, but your large breed male is over 6 mos old, so his might take a few days to feel just right as well.

Call the vet if you have any concerns.

Blind dogs usually do just fine. . . they adapt. . . and you'll want your blind dog to become accustomed to being alone so that if for some reason your other dog was in the hospital for a while. . . or passed away first. . . your blind one isn't totally LOST. So, if I were you, I'd try to intentionally separate them for a few hours each week (gradually if needed) just to get some comfort with that. (Have someone take the seeing dog to the park for a few hours or something like that.)

HTH

I agree with everything she stated above.

Seperation is important right now, he will adapt just fine.