Menu

how much time does Windows to the World take each day

dd will be doing American history (Notgrass but only using some of their lit books as extra reading) next year along with American Lit (leaning towards Lightning Literature) . Dd and I need some help with literary analysis and since everyone seems to feel that WTTW seems to be the best, I may go with that. Anyway is it a semester or even less class and about how long each day. I just want to use it to get dd up to speed with literary analysis. Would using both WTTW and Lightning Lit be too much? Any opinions?

Windows to the World doesn't do any lesson planning for you. I paid $5 to use Jill Pike's lesson plans that she posted on IEWFamilies email loop. I think somebody said that they're available through the IEW website as well. Her lesson plans add in To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre, and Hamlet along with several short stories that aren't in WttW. You could easily use Jill's lesson plans and just skip the weeks that she has novel studies going on. You are already getting the novel studies with your American literature course.

I spent about 1 hour/week going over the previous week's work and covering the new material with my 9th and 11th graders. My 9th grader said that she spent 1-1.5 hours doing the work for WttW each week (not counting the time that it took to read the novels when we were doing the novel studies).

So I'd figure 1 hour once a week to go over last week's work and cover the new lesson and then 1-1.5 hours/week to actually do the work.

Windows to the World doesn't do any lesson planning for you. I paid $5 to use Jill Pike's lesson plans that she posted on IEWFamilies email loop. I think somebody said that they're available through the IEW website as well. Her lesson plans add in To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre, and Hamlet along with several short stories that aren't in WttW. You could easily use Jill's lesson plans and just skip the weeks that she has novel studies going on. You are already getting the novel studies with your American literature course.

I spent about 1 hour/week going over the previous week's work and covering the new material with my 9th and 11th graders. My 9th grader said that she spent 1-1.5 hours doing the work for WttW each week (not counting the time that it took to read the novels when we were doing the novel studies).

So I'd figure 1 hour once a week to go over last week's work and cover the new lesson and then 1-1.5 hours/week to actually do the work.

Angie, I'm considering WTTW as well. Just curious what else did you use besides WTTW to round out your history/lit curriculum? I'm in the process of piecing things together!

Thanks so much!

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),dd(6)

I used Oak Meadow 9th grade US history, The Least You Should Know about English (grammar book that OM uses for 9th grade English), US History-based Writing Lessons volume 2, Jill Pike's lesson plans for WttW that stretched it out over a full year by adding in more short stories and several novels, and novels/plays.

Here's the list of what my dd read this year for history and English combined:

Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (Twain)

Call of the Wild (London)

To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee)

The Pearl (Steinbeck)

Flowers for Algernon (Keyes)

Jane Eyre (Bronte)

Alas, Babylon (Frank)

Anthem (Rand)

Animal Farm (Orwell)

Looking Backward (Bellamy)

Twelfth Night (Shakespeare)

Dragon's Gate (Yep)

The Staircase (Rinaldi)

No Promises in the Wind (Hunt)

Parallel Journeys (Ayer)

Children of the River (Crew)

The Contender (Lipsyte)

Short stories

Ransom of Red Chief

Most Dangerous Game

Gift of the Magi

The Necklace

Jury of Her Peers

Pit and the Pendulum

Tell-Tale Heart

Fall of the House of Usher

Cask of Amontillado

The Black Cat

The Lottery

Story of an Hour

Bartleby, the Scrivener

A Blunder

Paul’s Case

Two Kinds

Open Window

We are going to cover several more Shakespeare plays using Teaching Company Shakespeare's Plays: Comedies, Histories, and Tragedies. We're just going to do the comedies. We listened to an audio version of Twelfth Night while reading along in No Fear Shakespeare and then watched the lectures for that play. We're getting the movie of Taming of the Shrew from the library today and we'll watch the lectures for it after we watch the play. I plan for us to do this for Merchant of Venice, Measure for Measure, Tempest (no lectures for this one), and Midsummer Night's Dream (no lectures for this one either). Plays are meant to be performed, not just read, so I want to actually see performances.

I plan to have us work through the histories next year. That will work out perfectly since my 10th grader will be doing a one-year world history course and my 7th grader will be doing ancient and medieval world history. My oldest will hopefully be doing just about everything at the cc.

I spent about an hour the first part of the week introducing the new topic. They probably spent at total of an hour to an hour and a half the rest of the week completing the assignments.

I wish I had know about Jill Pike's syllabus and added novels. That would have been perfect. It sounds like a great way to go.

Kristi