Menu

For Omnibus users - what did you use for elem?

We are planning to use Omnibus 1-6 for jr. high and up. We have been all over the place with curriculum for our oldest but will be switching over to VP Scholars (at home, not online) beginning this fall. We have used TOG (Y1), TOG (Y2 - starting with U3, Colonial America - we have not covered the Middle Ages yet), MFW Adv., and a variety of mix and match stuff so far.

My oldest will be 9 in the fall and we will be starting VP at the 4th grade levels of lit, Middle Ages hist., Malachi-Chron. Bible, Latin For Children A, and IEW SWI A. We will also be using R&S English 4 and All About Spelling. I'm wondering what all of you used prior to beginning Omnibus? Will following the VP recommendations for 5th and 6th make her ready in 7th for Omni? Should I plan to add in certain things prior to 7th to aid her preparation? Thanks!

:)

For Omnibus users - what did you use for elem?

Public school. :D

I will say, however, that I wish my son had had a very, very thorough grounding in history, fact/years/timeline/causes and effects, etc. VP, in Omnibus, assumes familiarity with many ancient cultures, and does not go into detail about Egypt, for example. That's because VP spends a lot of time (6 years) on history in the elementary years. For Omni 1, just snippets are read out of Spielvogel. If your child is not well-grounded in history, the kind of history that a text will give, they won't get that in Omnibus. You get history via the Great Books much more--and it's wonderful!!! but different.

I hadn't plannned on using Omnibus, do I didn't preplan it to get us ready. I think Veritas would be very helpful. I used the WTM methods. We did the four year history cycle. I think to do any great books study, the classical method is best. Learn Latin, grammar, study history, spend time doing read alouds, talk about the books you read. I would read retellings of the great books, so the stories are familiar.

I did not do any of the progymansta writings. Omnibus has some good writing assignments that use the progymnasta. If I did it again ( and now there are more materials) I would teach using the progymnasta method.

If you're doing the Scholars lessons, you're on track. You might like to ask this on the VP_Elementary yahoo group as well. Omnibus is heavy on reading and has daily writing assignments, both of which the Scholars lessons will work you up to. Omnibus assumes a broad background of history at the most basic level, and again the Scholars lessons will get you there. You're going to be fine! You have a good plan, and at this point it's in the DOING. :)

As for us, we've planned on Omnibus from the beginning. I've used VP stuff (not exclusively, but in a mix) and try to make sure I'm on track with our daily writing amounts, etc. I think there are lots of ways to get there, but the most fundamental things are the skills, the reading and writing.

Something that teaches history in a solid chronological sequence and teaches important events.. We did VP history all through the earlier years and have finished four years of VP Omnibus. Omnibus does not review the chronological sequence of the flow of events; so make sure you use something solid for prior years, because you won't get it in Omnibus. Omnibus has its strengths, but historical flow of events is not one of them.